Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor
Experience:  40+ yrs. experience as a licensed oil & gas technician.
94766

my oil boiler keeps locking out after approx. 10 mins of resetting.

Customer Question

my oil boiler keeps locking out after approx. 10 mins of resetting. When it initially fires up, it can warm radiators without the control box being set to 'heat on'. Also in the 10 mins that it works, the water pressure rises signifacantly. What could be the problem?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Rick replied 7 years ago.
HiCustomerbr />
It sounds like you may have 2 problems. The first being the pressure rise which is not likely related to your burner issue. It is normal for the pressure to rise as much as 10 psi (from a cold start) when the boiler water heats up. Much more than that and you may have a faulty expansion tank. If you have a diphragm type tank it may need to be replaced. If this is an old system with a simple expansion tank then the tank will need to be drained completely then repressurized. If your pressure is rising much above 30 psi you should also replace the pressure relief valve.

The possibilities for your burner issue are (in decending order of likelihood)

Burner is out of adjustment and needs a tune up
Cad cell (electric eye) is dirty or faulty
Faulty ignition control (least likely but often the first thing an inexperienced tech will replace)