Mark Henley
Mark Henley, Journeyman Technician
Experience:  UA Journeyman Pipefitter , HVAC, Refrigeration, DDC controls. 26 years.Commercial & residential
10307865

I have a Goodman GKS9 furnace. The pilot light has gone out.

Customer Question

I have a Goodman GKS9 furnace. The pilot light has gone out. How do I light it.

Thanks John
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Mark Henley replied 7 years ago.

Hi John,

First turn the thermostat to the lowest setting and turn the system switch to OFF if you have that on your thermostat. If not then turn the breaker off to the unit.

Then on the gas control valve there should be a knob that has ON-OFF-PILOT labeled on it, you turn it to PILOT and push down this allows gas to flow to the pilot you will have to then light it with a long lighter or match, after its lit hold down for 30 seconds and slowly release pressure on the knob then turn it to the ON position then turn the settings back to the way were before , applying power and a call for heat from the thermostat,

Let me know,

Thanks

Mark

Thanks

Mark

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

On this furnace (we do not have the furnace instruction book) where is the gas control valve with the pilot on/off. Do we have to remove a cover pannel?

Thanks John

Yes you do, if it is an upright furnace it will be the top panel, just follow the gas line and you will find it.

Thanks

Mark

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

It appears that this furnace uses an auto pilot light. the furnace comes on for about ten minutes, then the flame goes out but the fan stays on. Do you need the filter in the furnace for the furnade to stay on. I would think that this would not matter.

Thanks John

ps I live on Vancouver Island, the problem is with my tenants furnace in Chg Il.

The filter shouldn't matter as far as ignition goes.

You are having a problem with either the ignition control or the high heat limit switches.

Thanks

Mark