BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech
Experience:  Endorsed for unlimited heating, cooling, oil burners, boilers, refrigeration, hydronics

Payne PG8JAA Not Heating - Trouble Code 13 - 33

I have a Payne PG8JAA furnace that is sending code 13 and then turning into code 33 after about 5 minutes.
Did resetting the switches on the burners do anything?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No; it did not. The main fan just keeps running.

In case you didn't already know:

Code 13: Limit Circuit Lockout
Code 33: Limit Circuit Fault

The instructions said that there would be an auto reset after it goes to code 33, so I waited the 3 hours and nothing happened.

I've also checked all the filters and the vents and everything is clean and clear. The unit is only a year old, and as you can tell from the images I've attached, it is VERY clean.
Behind the gas valve on the front wall is a 2"X4" rectangle plate with 2 wires attached to it. Turn power off and remove the 2 screws holding the plate in and remove the switch. Tap on the end a couple times and reinstall. This is a lim it that is supposed to reset itself but can get stuck. Try that and get back to me with results
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Okay. I will try that.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Okay.... This isn't a switch, unless I removed the wrong thing. Please verify...

Thank You.
Ok that is a limit. Is this a downflow?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes it a downflow...

Downflow meaning the heated air goes into the slab of the house and the intake is coming from the top...
That means you may have a limit in the blower section
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
While I was waiting for your response, I took the cover off of the blower section and was looking for something similar to what the other switches looked like; and could not find anything.
Ok lets get going on some elimination....tape the safety door switch down. The code should start. Remove the 2 wires from the limit you took off earlier, dont let these touch ground or the 3 amp fuse on the circuit board will blow. Touch the metal ends of the 2 wires together and see if code stops. If not, put back on switch and try same thingg with rollouts.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I took the wires off the limiter (image I sent you before) and put a paper clip in between them. Powered up the unit and it works now. I have ignition and everything is operating normal (solid red light).

So I have a bad limiter. Where would I be able to get a replacement and about how much do they cost?
You can buy the online for around 45-50 dollars. You could probably pick one up at a local heating shop for less than that. That limit is very common in many furnaces and will be a regular stock item. Jut take that one with you. You can try for temporary fix to hold a flame on the switch for 20 seconds and then put it in the freezer for 2-3 minutes. That sometimes unsticks them, but I still tthink you should get a new one.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Excellent. Thank you very much!!
Actually I thank have shown great patience and I appreciate it greatly.