Rick, HVAC Supervisor
Experience:  40+ yrs. experience as a licensed oil & gas technician.

My boiler makes a percolating noise when it comes on. I just

My boiler makes a percolating noise when it comes on. I just had it serviced and it was ok for 10 days and just started making this noise yesterday. A new valve for letting the water into the boiler was replaced and valve to let air escape was also replaced. The boiler is also coming on every 10 minutes, but then is was minus 10 last night. What is causing the precolating sound?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Rick replied 6 years ago.
HiCustomerbr />
The most likely cause of the noise you hear is air in the boiler. If the air vent was replaced then this shouldn't be happening or there is a mineral or sediment build up in the boiler.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
If it is due to build up of minerals in the boiler wouldn't I have heard that before now. The boiler was worked on 12 days ago, so would not have built up enough minerals in 12 days. A new air vent was installed as well. Is there a chance the technician did not adjust the vent properly. I was also under the impression that maybe enough water was not getting into the system, but a new valve for that was replaced too.
Expert:  Rick replied 6 years ago.
It's possible that there is some air trapped in your boiler even with a new float vent. If the vent if not positiined properly or was inadvertantly left closed then the air might not vent properly. Or if the system was drained then not purged of air properly that too could bring air into the boiler.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
So until I can get them to fix it properly, they can't get to it until next week, will this hurt the boiler or cause the system to cycle more frequently. It is coming on alot, but like I said it was -10 last night
Expert:  Rick replied 6 years ago.
The percolating noise is just annoying. It shouldn't hurt anything.