BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech
Experience:  Endorsed for unlimited heating, cooling, oil burners, boilers, refrigeration, hydronics

Trane furnace xe 80 flashing 4 times on the circuit board which

Trane furnace xe 80 flashing 4 times on the circuit board which says the Thermal protection device is open or open temperature limit circuit. what does this mean or what do I replace.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 6 years ago.
There are a couple, but if the filter was dirty it most likey is a high limit. It is located behind the gas valve on the front wall. There is a plastic rectangle with 2 wires attached to it. Remove the 2 wires and touch together so metal touches. See if code stops.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I will run home and check this out and let you know

. My cell number in(NNN) NNN-NNNNif i cant get you back online call me back Saturday sometime.

Expert:  BillyHvac replied 6 years ago.
The site blocks email and phone numbers to protect privacy. I can only respond via this format. I will, however, leave this question open for you to respond to.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
OK that seemed to be the problem I held the wires together and eventually the furnace kicked on. so do I replace that part or clean it??
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 6 years ago.
first remove it and tap on it and then reinstall. If it still codes the same you will need to replace it.