Mark Henley
Mark Henley, Journeyman Technician
Experience:  UA Journeyman Pipefitter , HVAC, Refrigeration, DDC controls. 26 years.Commercial & residential
10307865

How do you know if your fan relay or motor is bad It is getting

How do you know if your fan relay or motor is bad? It is getting power but will not turn on. Went out of town and left my fan on for 5 days straight by accident. Outside AC unit turns on now that I replaced the thermostat, but no fan. How much would it cost me to have it replaced?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Mark Henley replied 5 years ago.

If you are getting voltage to the motor and it is not running then its defective, or the capacitor is defective. More than likely the motor, the cost varies it can range between 200 and 450 dollars.

Thanks

Mark

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Mark,

The capacitor has little black circles that looks like burns on it. Would this be an indication that it is bad and is there a way to test the capacitor? Capacitor is $98 and motor is $419. So hopefully capacitor. Thanks

Aaron

That would be an indication of a bad capacitor, tell me the numbers on it and I can probably give you a better source, those things are only about 30 dollars.

Thanks

Mark

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I am at work for the next few hours and don't know the specific part number, but my unit is a Goodman A32-10 if that helps. I can check when I get off if you will be available then. I hope this fixes my problem, the military wages can make things tight.

Aaron

Yeah I'll need the numbers, 100 for that part is high and 420 for the motor is very high. here's the thing, if you replaced the motor you would have to change the capacitor also, so if you happen to buy the capacitor and it ends up being the motor it won't go to waste as you would have to buy it with the new motor anyway,

Thanks

Mark

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi Mark. I just got home and here is what is on the capacitor. I do not know which is the part #.

GE
97F9001
7.5uf 320VAC
+06 -06% 50/60Hz
Protected P921
A10000AFC 9135GA20
DIELEKTROL VI
B9456-51/GREEN
2608

Aaron

OK I see two terminals on it ? Sound right ?

Thanks

Mark

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes. I did a Google search and found a new one on Ebay for $5.99 plus shipping. It looks exactly the same as the one I have.

That's about right, that's wholesale pricing. The only number that really matters on there is the microfarad rating which is 7.5. and you also want the same style for easier mounting , most are round but same are square. I would give it a try , you will also be surprised at what you can get the motor for if you have those numbers and end up needing it.

Thanks

Mark

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I will try that first and see. Luckily it is in the 70s in Fort Worth and not the summer. Is there a way to request you if I need more help later?

Yes, in your question just put my name in it, thats the easiest way.

Thanks

Mark

Mark Henley, Journeyman Technician
Experience: UA Journeyman Pipefitter , HVAC, Refrigeration, DDC controls. 26 years.Commercial & residential