BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech
Experience:  Endorsed for unlimited heating, cooling, oil burners, boilers, refrigeration, hydronics

My oil burner is blowing black smoke, even though I have cleaned

Customer Question

My oil burner is blowing black smoke, even though I have cleaned the chimney, inside the boiler, but black smoke is still coming through the plate that connects the boiler to the blower.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 7 years ago.
Wrong air mix with fuel too rich, crusted nozzle/electrodes, poor pump pressure. If you have never set up an oil burner I recommend having an oil tech do it
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The burner has been working fine for years. Can you advise how to do the adjustment?
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 7 years ago.

Working fine for years is great, but an oil burner requires yearly checks to make sure everything is still set right. We are burning a liquid instead of a gas so things like oil filter , nozzle, electrode settings and pump pressure are critical to maintain. Just like car maintenance. This requires certain tools to make any adjustments. CO kit for air adjustment, smoke test for for proper burn, pressure gauge for pump pressure and access to correct nozzle settings depending on the oil burner.

I am honestly not trying to avoid answering your question, but to make any changes and perform any checks would require the proper tools.