Billy
Billy, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Endorsed for unlimited heating, cooling, oil burners, boilers, refrigeration, hydronics
12672042

My ducane furnace is flashing a code 6 and 7 something about

My ducane furnace is flashing a code 6 and 7 something about a valve check any ideas
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Billy replied 5 years ago.
when the unit first starts does the draft fan start?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes I hear a fan start. It runs for about 30-45 seconds then shuts down
Expert:  Billy replied 5 years ago.
This will require being at the unit while that fan runs...turn the furnace on and then tell me if you hear a click shortly before it shuts down
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Please stand by.
Expert:  Billy replied 5 years ago.
not a problem
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
There is no click prior to the fan shutting down. On the Panel it says that a 6-7 code means self lockout due to valve self check
Expert:  Billy replied 5 years ago.
Unplug the molex plugs out of the gas valve with the furnace power off, then turn power on and then plug connectors back into valve
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

sounds good but where is the gas valve? Any certain color wires? How many plugs.

Thanks for being patient with me.

Expert:  Billy replied 5 years ago.

along side the furnace is a gas pipe. It runs into the furnace and direct to the gas valve

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
tried it twice. Only the fan runs then shuts down after about 30 seconds.
Expert:  Billy replied 5 years ago.
Ok, the gas valve is known as a honeywell smartvalve. It controls a lot of functions in the furnace. In the bottom of the furnace is a circuit board. The circuit board is responsible for turning on the draft fan but only with an ok from the valve. It looks like you will be replacing the gas valve. If you wish you can call a heating company, most carry the valve on the truck. There were enough failures to warrant carrying them in stock.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
any Idea of the cost? Is it possible for me to purchase one and do it myself
Expert:  Billy replied 5 years ago.
It depends on tools available. By that I mean there is nothing technical as far as removing gas pipe and installing new valve but then the new valve needs to have the operating pressure checked which requires a gas pressure gauge.
Billy, HVAC Technician
Experience: Endorsed for unlimited heating, cooling, oil burners, boilers, refrigeration, hydronics