Ryan V.
Ryan V., HVAC Mechanic
Experience:  16 years in the HVAC industry. Including service, installation and design of HVAC systems.
23036405

I (homeowner) have a coleman evcon I believe the model is hw8204

Customer Question

I (homeowner) have a coleman evcon I believe the model is hw8204 IID. I need to find a manual for this unit or a troubleshooting guide. I cannot get it to fire up this year and its getting too cold in our house for the kids and animals and we can't afford a tech visit
Category: HVAC
Expert:  KenCan replied 5 years ago.

I was not able to find a manual. Would you like some help.

Thanks,

Ken

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you. I have the "manual" now which is nothing more than the install instructions and a wiring schematic so otherwise useless to me. I found out the model number was not correct and I currently have the right one. If you feel comfortable troubleshooting over the phone with me that would be best. If it works out, I will be more than happy to forward you some money. My phone is XXX-XXX-XXXX. My direct mail isXXX@XXXXXX.XXX. Thanks again. Greg
Expert:  KenCan replied 5 years ago.

The only way that I can help is through this site. We can not call out. Would you like some help?

Thanks,

Ken

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Ok I am pretty sure I just said yes. Tell me you are not a bot...
Expert:  KenCan replied 5 years ago.

Ok. The sound that you here hum is it coming from the inducer motor (small motor above the burner section) or is it coming from the circuit board.?

Thanks,

Ken

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
how can I tell?
Expert:  KenCan replied 5 years ago.

First thing you can do is shut the thermostat off and go to the furnace and locate the burner area. If there is a light switch turn that off there also for about 5 seconds (long enough to reset the 120 volts. Then give a call for heat at the thermostat and go back to the furnace and see if the inducer motor starts up. This is the first thing that happens on a call for heat.

Thanks,

Ken

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Tried that as per the same instructions on the panel (I also tried the same thing with the gas switch off for a while then back on). All I am getting is the electric hum. Normally I would hear this for anywhere from a few seconds to close to a minute. Then the electronic ignition will click a few times then I would hear the sound of the gas firing up, then the fan turns on. Now all I get is the hum of the electric pre-firing. When I first tried this I gave it a wack on the side of the unit and it fired up for a couple minutes. I can recreate now though.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes
Expert:  KenCan replied 5 years ago.

Ok. Reset your power again for about 5 seconds so you can start the timing sequance over. You will want to find the small blades on the inducer motor and once you have found them try to turn them with pencil. They should be able to turn freely.

Thanks,

Ken

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I can't see the blades. The part of it closest to me is copper coil inside. the part that is more likely the fan blades I cannot see blades through the tiny slits. I tried to reach with a pencil but no luck. I imagine the coil portion closest to me would have to come off. If you gave me an email addy I could send you the pics I have taken. OH. and the correct model number is XXXXX
Expert:  KenCan replied 5 years ago.

You can up load pictures here.

Ken

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Oh! How?
Expert:  KenCan replied 5 years ago.

Right next to the Youtube button there is a tree button you can push and upload off of your desktop.

Ken

Expert:  KenCan replied 5 years ago.

Another quick question. Do you feel the vibration on the inducer motor like it is trying to start up?

Ken

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Sorry I do not see a YouTube button. Is that on this screen or somewhere else? Thanks for your patience
Expert:  KenCan replied 5 years ago.

I guess my screen is set up a little diffirent. Do you get the last question I ask?

Thanks,

Ken

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes I did. Upon closer inspection, no the device you showed me is NOT vibrating and the thing making the noise is what seems like some kind of relay switch or something going from the power cables inside to the inducer motor. It is a small black electronic device that has 5 wires plugged into it (external female flat plugs) sorry for the lack of knowledge of appropriate jargon
Expert:  KenCan replied 5 years ago.

Are there terminals that these 5 wires go to labeled?

Thanks,

Ken

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
on the "switch" they are labeled one through five (turns out there is only 4 wires coming out of it) and I was wrong about their destination after that; the cables all go to what looks like the internal power supply (like on a pc) and one cable appears to be spliced directly to one of 4 wires in a bundle. The bundle leads out of the unit and goes up towards the ceiling (the other 3 in the brown bundle go to the internal power supply?)
Expert:  KenCan replied 5 years ago.

This is sounding more and more like a relay that is stuck closed.

Ken

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Is the relay that little black box with the wires attached to it? about the 2"x1"x1" ? If so is that something be tackled or would it need to be replaced?
Expert:  KenCan replied 5 years ago.

Are these your low voltage wires? R, W, Y, G, and C?

Ken

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Is there any other way I can forward a pic to you? Maybe if I posted on a quick mock website?
Expert:  KenCan replied 5 years ago.
Ok. Send the link.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok give me ten minutes to create n upload. thanks
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
can you see this?

http://sites.google.com/site/furnaceproblems/
Expert:  KenCan replied 5 years ago.
Good picture. Give me a minuite to study it.
Expert:  KenCan replied 5 years ago.

Ok. Are you saying that what makes the hum sound is behind the metal plate at the top that has the Warning label on it?

Ken

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no. the little black box on the right side attached by one sheet metal screw. The one with the 4 black wires (blue tips) coming off of it.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
any thoughts?
Expert:  KenCan replied 5 years ago.

No. Let me open this question back up for someone else.

Thanks,

Ken

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you. XXXXX just wait here for your response?
Expert:  Ryan V. replied 5 years ago.
hi there. lets see if we can figure this out. you ready?
Expert:  Ryan V. replied 5 years ago.
What you are talking about, is a fan relay. Mark your wires with the corresponding numbers on the relay. Then remove the wires and take the relay to a local dealer that sells to the public. This is a $10 part at most (in my area). Install the new relay and re-wire it. You'll be set to go!!