Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor
Experience:  40+ yrs. experience as a licensed oil & gas technician.
94766

I have an arcoaire furnace that is not working. You can see

Customer Question

I have an arcoaire furnace that is not working. You can see the pilot light and hear it running, and the fan works, but the pilot never seems to "ignite" the heater so that the heat starts and the fan turns on, making hot air come out. It stops with the pilot light trying to work and then ends there. Thanks!
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Rick replied 7 years ago.
HiCustomerbr />Do you have a multimeter to diagnose this problem?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
No I don't . Can I get one at the store? Also the green light flashes constantly not in any number. Just an FYI..
Expert:  Rick replied 7 years ago.
It's not possible to diagnose this problem without a meter. If you have no experience with testing electrical circuits you would be better off calling in a service tech to diagnose your problem
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I don't think it's electrical. Everything electrical works. The gas doesn't light the burner and therein cause the blower to blow hot air. The fan spins. Everything turns on, it just doesn't complete the cycle....It is a gas furnace.....
Expert:  Rick replied 7 years ago.
It takes (electrical) voltage to open the gas control valve. The circuit board has to prove you have a pilot (also electrical) before it will send voltage to the gas valve. The pilot flame sensor has to sense the pilot flame (electrical). The control and safety circuitry has to be tested with a meter to determine where the fault lies.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Is there something that would typically go out to make this problem happen? It happened once before about 3 years ago.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
It wasn't electrical it was a block in a tube. I don't need an answer now, we figured it out. Thanks.