Ryan V.
Ryan V., HVAC Mechanic
Experience:  16 years in the HVAC industry. Including service, installation and design of HVAC systems.
23036405

I have a honeywell gas valve # 1001782 in a Majestic fireplace

I have a honeywell gas valve #(NNN) NNN-NNNNin a Majestic fireplace rhedv42rn and need to adjust the pilot down a little bit. How do I do that and where do I find the pilot adjustment on the valve unit?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Mark Henley replied 7 years ago.

Is that number right off the valve ? Try to look for a number that starts with a V , let me know.

Thanks

Mark

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The only information I can see on the valve itself is a warning tag. I wish I could send you a picture of the valve itself. If you look in the Vermont Castings for Majestic fireplace insert RHEDV42 RN you will see a picture of the valve. On the right hand side facing me is where there are 4 screws to hook up switch, etc. The 2nd to the bottom is labeled TPH and the bottom screw has a black tab right next to it that says Pilot Adj. I tried taking that screw out but the black tab appears to be part of the unit and did not move. The part number I gave you earlier is from the Vermont Castings manual for that style of valve and states Valve Honeywell.

I will take a look at it today,

Thanks

Mark

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
It's been 4 days now and still no reply to my question with detailed information. I hope I was not charged for no help
Expert:  Ryan V. replied 7 years ago.
If you look at the gas valve, you should notice in raised lettering PILOT... Take off the cover screw and intert a screwdriver into that opening. Watching the pilot, turn it counter clock wise. That should make the flame smaller. If not turn it the other direction.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
There is only a black tab underneath the 4 screws that you hook up the switch, etc. to. Below the terminal screw that says TPH there is a silver screw. Right to the right of that there is a black tab that is marked "PILOT ADJ" By unscrewing that silver screw just to the left does nothing to the tab. It does not loosen up, click off, move whatsoever. There is nothing else that says "PILOT". To repeat what was said above, On the right hand side of the valve there are four screws of which I have my switch hooked up to. There is nothing connected to the bottom screw as shown in the Vermont Castings diagram. The black plastic cover that is labeled PILOT ADJ appears to be all one piece along with the the rest of the screws that the switch is hooked up to. I wish there was some way I could send you an actual picture.
Expert:  Ryan V. replied 7 years ago.

Try taking a picture and downloading it to your PC. Then copy the picture and paste it in the message box.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Just answer does not allow you to do that in this reply box. They do not accept anything but text. The only way is if I have your e-mail. Mine isXXX@XXXXXX.XXX
Expert:  Ryan V. replied 7 years ago.

Ok i found a picture from the manual. It shows the pilot adjustment screw is next to the on/off knob. there is an arrow that points to the knob to show when it is in on or off position. The screw is directly above that little arrow.

http://www.vermontcastings.com/catalog/elements/files/10000801_RHEDV.pdf

that is a link to the PDF document I found. See page 5 on the left, about 1/2 way down.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Ok, Now we are getting somewhere. You have the right manual but I have a different valve than the one you are looking at. If you go to Page 19 of this manual you will see many parts listed. My valve is the one marked 23 a/b. If you explode the picture to say 150 % you will see the large screw on the bottom right hand. Just to the right of it is the tab called PILOT ADJ. The other screw above the on/off/pilot knob is NOT the pilot adjustment but rather a encased screw holding the valve together. My original question is how do I get that "PILOT ADJ" tab off. Trying to look behind it it does look like there is an adjustment screw of some sort.
Expert:  Ryan V. replied 7 years ago.
gimme one minute
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
sure!
Expert:  Ryan V. replied 7 years ago.

no luck there. Is there a small sticker on the gas valve that has various numbers other than the one you listed. That is Majestics part number. not honeywell

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Just the warning sticker. The manual listed also listed a FP1218. Could that be a Honeywell item. I did a google search "honeywell FP1218" and it did bring up valves.
Expert:  Ryan V. replied 7 years ago.
let me check. be right back with you
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Not a problem. Gave me a chance to really take a close look again and the only thing I could find is a black number 021 on the left side of the valve
Expert:  Ryan V. replied 7 years ago.
ok. (1) have you tried using the small knob marked as pilot to manualy adjust the flame between on and off? (2) The pilot adjustment screw is just to the right of that knob on the picture. You should be able to adjust it right there if the pinture is corect. That number does bring up some honeywell stuff, but it is still not a good Honeywell number. try those things and let me know. I'll wait for you.
Expert:  Ryan V. replied 7 years ago.
I even tried calling thier Canadian phone number. It is no longer in service.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Not sure which knob you are talking about. To the far left is a knob for flame adjustment when the switch is on. Adjusts the size of flame. Does nothing for pilot. Next there is a push button knob that ignites the pilot light just like a bbq grill. The last knob is the on/off/pilot knob. Push it in to go from off to pilot in order to start the pilot light by pushing the 2nd buttom then to ON once pilot stays lit. The screw to the right of that is just a screw. It does nothing. The screw I am talking about is right of the on/off/pilot and left of the "pilot ADJ" tab and directly below the terminal called TPH. I have taken that screw completely out and it has nothing to do with the pilot. As stated earlier, I believe the Pilot Adj is underneath the Pilot Adj tab I keep talking about but I do not know how to get that tab to come off.
Expert:  Ryan V. replied 7 years ago.
ok, the screw your talking about, should be the screw. Same as any other adjustable pilot valve. Sorry I can't assist you any further. I will opt out and maybe someone else can help. You will not be charged for any assistance you have received. You will only be charged when you click on the accept button. Once again, sorry we could not figure it out. Good luck.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I got it! I took that screw out again. Completely out. Shined a flashlight in the hole where the screw was and clear in the back was the pilot adj screw almost an inch inside. Turned it to the right and the pilot went down!
Now for your patience, if I accept will you get paid?
Expert:  Ryan V. replied 7 years ago.
Yes. Glad you got it!!!
Ryan V., HVAC Mechanic
Experience: 16 years in the HVAC industry. Including service, installation and design of HVAC systems.