Rick, HVAC Supervisor
Experience:  40+ yrs. experience as a licensed oil & gas technician.

My hot water heater ran dry of oil. How do I prime it to get

Customer Question

My hot water heater ran dry of oil. How do I prime it to get it started?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Rick replied 7 years ago.
HiCustomerbr />

If you ran out of oil you do need to purge the air from the oil line. To do this you need a 3/8" (typically) open end wrench, a small container to catch the oil and a small piece of 1/4" od rubber tubing (the tubing isn't vital it just makes it a little easier). Locate the bleed fitting on the oil pump (on the left side of the oil burner where the oil line connects) it has a hex with a small hose barb protruding. Position your container directly below it. Loosen the hex. You will get a little oil and maybe a few bubbles. Now hit the reset button on the burner and let it run until its a steady stream of oil (no bubbles). Tighten the hex back up and you're done. You may need to hit the reset more than once