Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor
Experience:  40+ yrs. experience as a licensed oil & gas technician.
94766

My 18 month old Coleman echelon 8.s series gas furnace is not

My 18 month old Coleman echelon 8.s series gas furnace is not working properly.

Problem 1.   After having furnace and fan just sitting for a few summer months I turned the fan on at the thermostat. Now when I put it back to auto at the thermostat it continues to run. I assume an internal switch for the fan unit is stuck.   At the time I just turned off my breaker to turn it off. Is there anyway to unstick the switch?

Problem 2. This is probably somehow caused form problem 1, not sure though. Cold morning yesterday, tried to turn furnace on. Turned breaker back on, turned up furnace at thermostat. Fan kicked on, but the furnace never did. I checked the Diagnostics. It says that the fault is rollout switch has opened contacts. How do I manually reset rollout control?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Rick replied 5 years ago.
Hi rooster 735
The 2 problems probably are related. Rollout switches usually have a button in the middle of the switch. If you push it in and it clicks you have reset it.

graphic
It is usually located just above the burners

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Locating the roll out switch was easy enough with diagram/as built that came with the unit. The button seems to still be set. After trying to push it down, I put cover back on and turned breaker back on. The fan started up immediately even though it is turned off at the thermostat.
Expert:  Rick replied 5 years ago.
You probably have an open limit switch. Turn the power off at the furnace. Check to be sure the filter is clean and no return air grills are obstructed. Then turn the unit back on after a minute or 2. If the limit has reset the unit should run normally. You may have a defective limit in which case the blower will continue to run. The limit is usually located on the front wall of the furnace above the burners. It is also possible that you have a defective rollout switch. You can temporarily jump it out to see if it is ok or not. Do not operate the furnace with the rollout jumped.
Rick, HVAC Supervisor
Experience: 40+ yrs. experience as a licensed oil & gas technician.
Expert:  Rick replied 5 years ago.
I will be logging off in a few minutes. If you have more questions I'll get back to you tomorrow morning.