Kenton Guidry
Kenton Guidry, HVAC Technician
Experience:  12 years install/service experience.

My air conditioner keeps kicking on,off...on,off...on,off almost

Customer Question

My air conditioner keeps kicking on,off...on,off...on,off almost as though someone is flicking a light switch. It is very quick and you can hear the click click... on,off. It is throwing out cold air but immediately cliks off. It is not cooling the house to the temperature we have set but again cool air IS coming out in these little bursts. We cleaned the air filter inside and sprayed the big unit outside with water. Any suggestions??? We are at a loss. Also it is a fairly newer unit (3yrs old). Incase you need my email address ?? XXX@XXXXXX.XXX.   Thanks!!
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Kenton Guidry replied 4 years ago.

I would suggest turning the condenser off via the breaker.

This way no damage will occur to the system.

How many seconds does it take before it turns off?

How long till the condenser tries again?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

THE CONDENSER ( the one outside, right?) is going and working like it is supposed to, the unit inside the house is the faulty one. Infact the condenser is running outside right now, but nothing is happening inside at all. Yesterday, inside it would flick on for 3 sec. then flick off for 3, on,off...on,off...over and over again. It did that for 24 hrs or so. Now it isn't coming on hardly at all and the temp. inside has gone up like 8 degrees.... :(

My baby is sick so this is not good....he has a fever already...

Yes, the condenser is the outside unit.

Do you see ice on any of the pipes outside at the condenser?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
nope, its like 105 degrees outside....no ice but still running and no air inside
Is the indoor fan running right now?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
nope. just outside. nothing inside.

One of the pipes should be frozen over since the fan is not running.

Kenton Guidry, HVAC Technician
Experience: 12 years install/service experience.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok so do i just turn the unit off and let it defrost? What should i do?

If the coil is frozen over you'll need to turn the condenser off. You can do this by turning the thermostat to off and setting the fan to on.

Are you sure there is no ice anywhere?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I touched one of the pipes that is covered with a piece of foam to prevent it from freezing and it was dripping watter and the pipe was really cold. There is a lot of watter so yeah it might be frozen. It is to hot here for any ice to form. So then just leave it with the fan on and it should be ok?

Leave it with the fan on and the ac off. That will thaw the system out.

Then check the air filter. Make sure it doesn't need to be changed.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The fan is on but it is not running is it supposed to be? Also how can i send you a tip because you really did a great job helping me out.

What do you meen that the fan is on but is not running?

I believe a bonus can be paid but I am not sure how it is done.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I switched the fan to on but i don't hear anything. Am I supposed to hear it running or is it just helping it to defrost?

I believe that you cannot tell the fan is running because of the ice blocking its airway path.

In order to determine if the fan is running you will have to go to the air handler and physically check.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
OK. And the air handler would be... Located...

The air handler is a component of the inside part of your system.

Usually these are located in a closet or in the attic.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok i will look. What if the fan is not working? What does that mean? also when do i know if i can turn the ac back on?

If the fan is not working your motor could be out or the capacitor for the motor might need to be replaced.

If the motor is not running I would call a technician out to check the motor.

The system cannot run without the indoor fan motor working right.

Once you feel a good amount of air flow you can turn the system back on.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok. so now the system started to turn on and off again is this a good sign?

How fast does this happen?

Which part of the system is doing this?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The entire unit inside the house seems to be switching on and off. not the unit outside. It turns on and off within a couple of seconds.

This is not good. I would leave the system off.

Either your fan relay is damaged, or you have a bad low voltage connection.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok so i should get a tech out here asap or can my husband do it? he is an Electronic tech.

I am not sure what he is able to do considering he works with electronics he may be able to fix this.

He will need to determine if the fan motor is losing voltage.

If the motor is losing voltage, which I believe it is, he will need to determine if he is losing his input signal from the green low voltage thermostat wire.