Mark Henley
Mark Henley, Journeyman Technician
Experience:  UA Journeyman Pipefitter , HVAC, Refrigeration, DDC controls. 26 years.Commercial & residential
10307865

I HAVE A LENNOX 12HPB SERIES UNIT THAT QUIT WORKING COVER ABOVE

I HAVE A LENNOX 12HPB SERIES UNIT THAT QUIT WORKING COVER ABOVE MOTOR FELT HOT .IS THERE SOME WAY FOR ME TO TEST UNIT I AM A PLUMBING CONTRACTOR?.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Mark Henley replied 7 years ago.

It could be the capacitor for the motor. With the power off to the unit spin the condenser fan motor and if there is no resistance at all it may be an electrical problem, if there is resistance it will be a bad motor.

Thanks

Mark

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

iI REMOVED THE FAN AND THE BLADE TURNS IT HAS A SMALL AMOUNT OF RESISTANCE BUT IT DOES TURN.

IS THERE SOME WAY I CAN WIRE IT TO SEE IF IR TURNS ON OUTSIDE THE UNIT?

I WAS GOING TO TRY THAT THERE IS A PURPLE ,ORANGE AND BLACK WIRE OFF THE MOTOR .

I DO KNOW ELECTRICAL SO IF THERE IS A WAY I CAN BENCH TEST THE MOTOR THAT WOULD BE VERY HELPFUL.

IS THERE SOME WAY TO TEST THE CAPACITOR WITHOUT BUYING A NEW ON?

The capacitor is relatively cheap and you would have to buy one if you replaced the motor anyway, I would just try a new one. bench testing doesn't prove very much as there won't be a load on it.

Thanks

Mark