Rick Mather
Rick Mather, HVAC Technician
Experience:  35 years experience, HVAC

I have a Lennox AC unit from 1985 and it recently quit working.

Customer Question

I have a Lennox AC unit from 1985 and it recently quit working. After shutting it off for several hours I turn it back on and the refrigerant return line has a little frost built up coming out of the furnace and the inbound line is a little cooler than room temp. I then went out side to the ac unit itself and had somebody turn the unit off. About 20 min later I called back in and told them to turn it back on and the line went super cold for a few seconds then was just moderately cold after that. The unit is not blowing very cold air and will only cool the house down to 80 when it was 90 out. What can I check next?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Rick Mather replied 7 years ago.
Have the refrigeration checked circuit leak check it may be low on charge or there is a air flow problem causing the suction line to frost up. The suction line should never be really cold to the point that it starts to freeze this mean that the unit has low superheat
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Do they make DIY home recharge kits like they do for cars?
Sorry the EPA 608 says you need certification to buy refrigerant.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
OK. Thanks. Sounds like this is beyond my ability because there is good air flow.