BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech
Experience:  Endorsed for unlimited heating, cooling, oil burners, boilers, refrigeration, hydronics

Goodman Manufacturing Co. Model CK60-1C. My unit started making

Goodman Manufacturing Co. Model CK60-1C. My unit started making loud noise, then fan quit working. Called contractor who said was motor. He installed a hard start capacitor and a used motor he had on had. We knew something was not right, as unit was extremely hot to touch (never was before) and was sucking air in top instead of blowing it out, but he gave us a song & dance, so we left unit on for 3 hours. Never cooled off so did research online and found all diagrams showing air should be blowing out thru top by fan. Turned unit off, called him and he came & mumbled something about polarity being reversed and supposedly fixed it (again). It ran for 3 hours and fan quit working and loud noise started up again. I have NO faith in this contractor now and am trying to figure out what's wrong, what additional damage he did by reversing polarity, and how to fix my unit! I have a 3500 sq ft retail shop. In Truth or Consequences, NM so parts are not too available without driving 1 hr. thanks!
<p>I hope it is just a play on terms but the motor should have had a matching start capacitor and not a hard start capacitor. On the side of the motor is a capacitor size necessary for the motor. number 1 it could have had the incorrect capacitor which would burn up the motor. 2 could have been the incorrect motor and capacitor. 3 it is hard to believe he did not notice the fan was running backwards. Here is the motor it crosses to at Grainger and dont forget the capacitor</p><p> </p><p> </p>