BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech
Experience:  Endorsed for unlimited heating, cooling, oil burners, boilers, refrigeration, hydronics
12672042

Honeywell CT3200A1001 thermostat wont reset after replacing batteries

Customer Question

I have a Honeywell CT3200A1001 thermostat that will not reset after replacing the batteries, it still displays "bat lo" after trying several pairs of new batteries. Is the thermostat shot or is there a way to reset?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 7 years ago.
You may have another issue. Remove the top portion of the thermostat and locate the wires and the terminals they attach to. Locate the R & G terminals. Use a wire or paperclip and touch the R & G at the same time. This should turn on the blower and bypass the thermostat. There is a chance the furnace is not sending 24 volts to the thermostat. Tell me if the blower comes on when R & G jumped together
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The fan will come on when I switch to manual and turn it on.
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 7 years ago.
Great, then you have the necessary power and it appears your thermostat it where the problem lies. Looks like you may be shopping for a new thermostat. Good luck.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I got some information from Honeywell which was helpful.

This thermostat requires 2 AA, alkaline, non rechargeable batteries. Make sure 2 of AA, alkaline, non rechargeable batteries are correctly installed.

Check the contacts in the battery holder for any signs of corrosion or discoloration. Corrosion on the battery terminals can cause the thermostat not to register new batteries. If there is oxidation or corrosion on the battery terminals, it needs to be cleaned off. Do not use anything abrasive to clean the contacts as this may damage the thermostat. It is advisable to use an electronic contact cleaner to clean the contacts. Spray electrical contact cleaner onto a soft cloth and wipe down the battery contacts with the soft cloth. Electrical contact cleaner is available through electronic stores such as Radio Shack.

If the thermostat still shows Bat lo on the display, we recommend resetting the microprocessor of the thermostat. This can be done by placing the system switch in the off position, removing the batteries, and putting them in backwards for 5 to 10 seconds. Reinstall the batteries in the correct polarity. The thermostat's display should be flashing 1:00 PM at this point. The program and current time and day will need to be reset.

If these steps do not help, thermostat will need to be replaced

Expert:  BillyHvac replied 7 years ago.

I am glad you found the information you were looking for.