BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech
Experience:  Endorsed for unlimited heating, cooling, oil burners, boilers, refrigeration, hydronics

Hi, I have a Goodman CK49-1B A/C unit outside. This is the

I have a Goodman CK49-1B A/C unit outside. This is the really the first time we have used it other than to test since we bought the house. It blew cold air for an hour or so and then I notice the air wasn't cold any more. Checked it out and the fan was not turning on the condenser. And it was hot to the touch. Out of daylight so I stopped there.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 7 years ago.
Did the compressor continue to run while the fan stopped?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I don't think so. It was silent out there.
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 7 years ago.
Ok, by chance has there been any power outages, lightening, surge? The reason I ask is the compressor and fan start with what is called a capacitor. They can be compromised by power issues regardless of age. Since both the compressor and fan is not running, and the motor was hot, I believe your options to be as follows. The contactor/relay has a bug or defect in one of the points that is only letting one leg of power through. The capacitor which helps start the compressor and motor is bad and needs replaced . Or you have one fuse blown which is also letting half power through. If you have further questions , I am available for follow up.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Well, there was very minor earthquake this morning. Tongue out Have not seen lightning here in a very long time.

Is the fuse located locally in the unit, in the power disconnect next to it or are you referring to the breaker in the main panel? Breaker is fine.

If it is not the motor, which would let the compressor continue to run, I lean to the capacitor. Cheapest option too. Would you say the start capacitor are there others?

Otherwise the relay you speak of might be where, in the unit or in the shut off? Can I detect this dead line with a voltage detector?
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 7 years ago.
Ok , I see you have a good understanding mechanically so I will add info. You have 220v coming into the disconnect box on the side of the house. Quite often you will find fuses in this box. Check for 22ov in and then 220v out to the ac unit. If you follow the 2 hots into the ac, they run to a contactor/relay. This relay has 220v sitting on one side on two poles waiting to cross. The thermostat sends a signal which finds its way outside and closes this relay enabling the 220v to go to compressor and motor. Check the relay also for 220v in and 220v out. This is the part that can sometimes get a bug in one of the contacts. If the relay is sending 220v out to the components, and they are not running, my bet is on the capacitor. Look for bulging or leaking of oil. Let me know if you need mor efollow up.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Sweet corn eh? Sounds nice. Ever make sweet corn, chile and cheese tamales. Those are the best kind. There used to be great sweet corn from a bunch of farm stands here in San Diego when I was a kid, but those farms are probably developments now.

By bug, you really meant a critter, not like a design flaw.

I see no bulging of or leaking from the compressor.

2 sets of 3 wires come from the electrical box, right. One set to the fan, the other to the compressor. What I need to check on, the relay AND the capacitor are both located inside of that electrical enclosure. Yes no? That sounds like a job for the daylight hours.

FYI, When I went out and noticed the lack of running and the hot motor. I also noticed that both copper tubes were the same temp.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Last question. I attempted to start the A/C again. I heard the switch click. Sounded like something making en effort for about 2-3 seconds and then silence.

I will check the relay. If it is the capacitor, Would you assume the run capacitor or the start capacitor. Or both just for good measure.
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 7 years ago.
Sorry I was offline when you replied. If multiple capacitors are in unit , replace them all. This will at a minmum help in the process of elimination.