Kenton Guidry
Kenton Guidry, HVAC Technician
Experience:  12 years install/service experience.
15860845

We have a system malfunction message on our thermostat, and

Customer Question

We have a "system malfunction" message on our thermostat, and it appears that our air has stopped running. How can I find out what the malfunction is?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Mark Henley replied 5 years ago.

What type of stat is it ?

Thanks

Mark

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It says carrier infinity system, does that help?

Yes it does, can you look at this page and make any sense of it, it seems there should be an error code with it. See if it applies to what you have and let me know, thanks.

page 16,

Thanks

Mark

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
page 16 where?

I'm sorry the link didn;t make it,

try this

http://www.favret.com/pdf_files/thermostats/SYSTXCCUID01_Infinity_Control_Installation_Startup.pdf

Thanks

Mark

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I am actually unable even to figure out how to get to a screen that would show me an error code, it only currently says "system malfunction".

I will have to hand this off to another expert as I have to get going here, someone should be along very soon.

Thanks

Mark

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks
Expert:  Kenton Guidry replied 5 years ago.
Press and hold the right side button for 3 seconds. This will display the current active system faults
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It doesn't give me a code, but it says "outside sensor error"
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

There you go. Your outdoor sensor is giving you the trouble code.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Is there anything I can do now so that I can get my ac working again? It is REALLY hot here!!!
The following is from your manual.

The user can press the right side button to dismiss the notice. The
regular run mode screen will then appear except “SYSTEM
MALFUNCTION” will appear in place of the day/time. If the error
has not disappeared within 24 hours, the above display will return.
If the error code disappears, “SYSTEM MALFUNCTION” will
disappear and the day/time will reappear.
Kenton Guidry, HVAC Technician
Experience: 12 years install/service experience.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for your help, have a great night!
You are very welcome.

Please let me know if you need any help.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Kenton, I'm still not sure on how to get the ac running again - on the screen where it shows me what the error is, it says ac off
Have you followed the instructions that I have provided?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes, I pressed the right side button to dismiss the notice, the system malfunction message is still on the screen....
The only thing you can do is what I have posted here. I am sorry, I wish I had better news for you.

Kenton Guidry, HVAC Technician
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thats okay, thanks anyway. I guess I will have to call a someone out to look at it.

Take care!
You too. Let me know if you need any help.