Rick Mather
Rick Mather, HVAC Technician
Experience:  35 years experience, HVAC
12095340

I need a wiring diagram for a robertshaw thermostat. I am

Customer Question

I need a wiring diagram for a robertshaw thermostat. I am reinstalling it and I can't get the auto fan to work. It will only work in the fan on position only... what did I do wrong??
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Rick Mather replied 5 years ago.
Sounds like the fan is wired correct if it works with the (on off auto) switch.

R = Red 24vac
G = Green Fan
W = White Heating
Y = yellow cooling

R could be jumped to Rc if only one transformer this may be your problem other wise it will have seperate 24vac to it
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Ok these are the color of wires I have. When I remove this thermostat to replace it with a programable one I coded the wires to beable to get them correct when ever I moved.

Color of wire = code on Thermostat

Green wire = RH

Goldish Brown wire = G

Yellow wire = Y1

White wire = YRH

Cream color wire = W

seems like the fan only is running in the "Fan On" always... What do I do???

The only wire that makes sense is the Yellow to The Y

White + YRH does not make sense either Please check your old wiring and what you have at presently

Normal wiring are as follows

R + red which supplys 24 vac and Rc could be jumper to R
W is other side of heating when R to W closes heat starts
G which when R to G closes turn fan on
Y which turns cooling when Rc closes to Y

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

There is a red wire but it was never used when I took this dang thing off in the first place.

here are the positions connections that are written on the thermostat itself

AZ B

O

W G

A RC

Y RH

there is SB-4A-5AJ written on the left side of the thermostat... if that helps

What are the AZ B mean, and W G, and A RC, Y RH

Are this all seperate terminals?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

yes those are all the terminals Starting with B in the 12 oclock position and going clockwise they read B, O, G, RC, RH, Y, A, W, and AZ when I removed this thermostat I marked each wire with the letter from where I took it off the terminal.

but now I am wondering if 1 or more wires need to be connected on the same terminal.

The one that came off the Rh has to go to Rh and Rc. Who ever wired this Thermostat was on drugs or something maybe colored blind
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Great!!!! Guess I just need to check my neighbors connections and hook it up the same as it. thanks for trying to help... but you didn't give me the answers I needed
Well hope they are the same and good luck