BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech
Experience:  Endorsed for unlimited heating, cooling, oil burners, boilers, refrigeration, hydronics
12672042

I have a Payne model PG9mab furnace, and it doesnt seem to

I have a Payne model PG9mab furnace, and it doesn't seem to be working. It doesn't have a pilot light, so I have no clue how to check if it's working or not.
Any ideas?

Does the draft fan start up first for you?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Hi!

I'm not sure if this is the draft fan or not, but I turned the thermostat to "fan on" and nothing is working, but the red led light is on (I took off the panel) so there should be power to the unit.

...does that help? I'm not very good at maneuvering around these things.

Not a problem,

We will see what we can do. Now, that red light you saw will tell us a story. Put the panel back on. Turn power on, turn up thermostat. When the furnace faults it will start blinking a code. ie: 1 fast, then 3 slow...1 fast , 3 slow...etc....that means our code is 13. Then on the door panel is a fault code legend that will narrow down our search. Give it try and get back with us.

Billy

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

How long should I wait?

The home temperature is 17 degrees C, and I pumped it up to 25. Nothing happened. I opened the panel and the red light is solid. No blinking. I can't find anything in the code for that.

Ok, can you take the thermostat off? Just the top part. We want to get to the subbase where the thermostat wires mount.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

You mean the one off the wall?

Is there one on the furnace?

the one on the wall....sorry
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Done! Smile

Now what?

get a piece of wire or paper clip.

We want to touch one end to R...It may be rc/rh on your stat, and the other end to W

Then tell me what happened

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

That seems to be working!

I can hear it working! Laughing

Now what do I do to keep it on?

Ok, first...congratulations, you have just found that you have a bad thermostat, dead batteries etc depending on what themostat you have. Now if you need heat you can remove the R wire and the W wire from their screws and twist them together.

Only problem then is it will not shut off. So in summary, you either have dead batteries in the thermostat, or the thermostat itself is bad.

Kind of fun huh?....

Billy