BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech
Experience:  Endorsed for unlimited heating, cooling, oil burners, boilers, refrigeration, hydronics

My LuxPro square thermostat has fan on and auto. Need help.

I have a LuxPro square thermostat. It has fan on and auto. Set points for heat and cool. It is hardwired. It has heat,cool and off. There is no model number showing, I have no directions how to set it.

Do you just want to set it for a temp, or is it programmable?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

It is not programmable, you have to push buttons to set temp for hot cold, they call it up or down.

Ok, push function or mode to see "cool" appear, then press up or down button to scroll to the temperature you desire. Remember when you do this that the room temp will reappear on the window and not your setting.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I have tried that and it will not budge. I gather you know you are talking to a lady who does not know much about this, but common sense told me to try that. I thank you for your help.

There is something else we can try to see if the stat is good or bad..If you wantto?..
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Anything to help, I am 71 yrs.Young, but to keep getting up and down to the turn of the cool is maddening.

Ok, get a hair dryer.

Set unit for heat and turn it up just 1 or 2 degrees above room temp. Let furnace kick on, and then start warming the area around the thermostat with the hair dryer. The furnace should shut off quickly. Then before the stat can cool...turn the system to cool and dial it to 1 degree below the room temp. The ac should kick on, the stat cool one degree and then kick off. Try that as a little project when you have the time. I wish you luck.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I do not have a dial. When you show cool a number is there mune is 45 which is too cool. I keep hitting down to set the temp, but nothing happens. I will try tour suggestion.