Kenton Guidry
Kenton Guidry, HVAC Technician
Experience:  12 years install/service experience.
15860845

old thermostat LUXPRO - wiring R - G - B - W2 - Y New

Customer Question

old thermostat = LUXPRO - wiring R - G - B - W2 - Y       New thermostat = Hunter 44665 - wiring Y1 - RH - RC1 - RC - Y/O - W/B - G. Have a single stage heat pump. Which wires go where on the Hunter thermostat? I tried RC1 = red wire, Y/O = yellow wire, W/B = blue wire, G = green wire, RH = white wire. It cooled all right; however, the return was blowing cold air out instead of pulling air out and condensate was leaking at the air handler.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Kenton Guidry replied 5 years ago.
So you do not have any back up heat sources?

The reason I ask is because of the w2 wire that your old thermostat used.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have heat strips
I am sorry to give you bad news but this thermostat will not operate your system properly.

Here is the text I just found in your manual that applies to your system.

"It will also operate single-stage heat pumps that do not have auxiliary or emergency heat."

Your unit has an auxiliary heat.
Do you have any more questions or concerns that you would like to address?

Would you like to confirm the compatibility of a thermostat for your unit?
If you want to stick with Hunter the 44860 supports multi stage heat pumps.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I am not sure I have heat strips in my unit. My unit is a RUUD Achiever High Efficiency Heat Pump. I looked thru the fan shroud and could not see any heat strips. How else can I tell if there are heat strips in my unit.
Does your heat ever run and the outside condenser if off?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No, I don't think so - in fact I'm sure it doesn't.
Well the old thermostat was not hooked up for a multi stage either.

Why did you think you had electric strips?

If you do have strips and they are mechanically good, you can hook up both stages.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
In my first question, I stated it was a single stage heat pump. I don't know why I thought it had heat strips. I called my father-in-law who is a HVAC tech and he said I do not have heat strips.
Make sure you turn your furnace breaker off before you do this.

Where did you hook up the wires on the old thermostat?

Your red wire will go to rc1 which is the same as rc. Then you will have to jump a wire over to rh.

Green will wire up to g.

The yellow wire will go to y1.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
old thermostat - R = red, G = GREEN, B = BLUE, WZ = white, Y = yellow It was a five wire hook-up. So I need to know what to do with the blue and the white wires?
What is the model of your old thermostat?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
There are two numbers inside the old unit. 0301D and XXXXXXXXXXX I assume the model number is XXXXX LUXPRO.
Are you for certain that both the w and b were hooked up on the old thermostat?

The reason I am asking is because b is for your heat pump and w2 is for a second stage heating.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes, I am absolutely sure. I wrote each wire color and letter on the thermostat down as I took the wire loose. If you can tell me how I can tell about the 2nd stage, I will try to find out. Also, there is a note inside the Hunter thermostat that states: 5-wire systems: Remove RC-RH jumper wire.
Take the white wire off of rh.

You need a jumper from the rc to the rh.

Also the b from your old thermostat will go to your b on your new thermostat.

Please do this and leave the white wire off.

Lets see if that works.

I am going off of the hunter diagram that I found online for single stage heat pumps.
Here is the manual I am using for reference in case you want it.

http://www.hunterfan.com/uploadedFiles/Support/Owner_Manuals/44008.pdf

Your diagram is on there on page 49.
How did it work out?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The instructions on the inside front cover of the Hunter 44665 thermostat states clearly: 5-wire systems: remove RC-RH jumper wire. My thinking is the white wire is the reverse valve. If the instructions tell me not to jumper the RC-RH, why are you telling me to jumper them? I am not trying to be smart, just need to understand. Tell you what, I'm just going to call a local A/C company and get them to handle this. I just don't understand what you're telling me to do. Sorry.