Mark Henley
Mark Henley, Journeyman Technician
Experience:  UA Journeyman Pipefitter , HVAC, Refrigeration, DDC controls. 26 years.Commercial & residential
10307865

How to shut off power to a gas furnace without using the main power?

If you open the blower door there is a kill switch there, that will activate, this only kills power to the point past the blower switch which is every component in the furnace, I need to ask what you need to kill the power for to tell you if this will suffice for you.

Read full interaction below »

Question

How do I shut off power to my gas furnace without using the main power panel box?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Mark Henley replied 8 years ago.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

I'm trying to replace the thermostat in my rental to a digital. The panel box isn't labeled. There's a red (light) switch looking thing by the furnace. It says Gas Burner, ON/OFF, Emergency Shut Off.
I didn't want to mess something up if that wasn't it. I just need the power off to the wires so I can change it out.

Removing the blower door should do it, naturally I would ask that confirm that with a meter but if you can't you can't, either way if you are careful with the wire on the stat that is connected to the C terminal or an X terminal you won't cause any damage to the low voltage transformer.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The furnace and water heater are in a closet in the dining room. I don't see any switches or buttons on it other than the one on the wall (emergency shut off) for the gas furnace.
If the thermostat is low voltage, could I just chance it? I don't know a thing about terminals. This is a townhouse.
Expert:  Mark Henley replied 7 years ago.

As long as you don't touch the wires together, the only concern is burning up the control transformer.

Remove the blower door and that should kill it though.

You can wing it,

The terminals will be exposed when you remove the front of the thermostat, its where the wires are connected at, they are lettered.

Thanks

'

Mark