Billy
Billy, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Endorsed for unlimited heating, cooling, oil burners, boilers, refrigeration, hydronics
12672042

Is there a reset switch on our central air conditionin uni

Is there a reset switch on our central air conditionin unit?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Billy replied 5 years ago.

hello,

I would need a little info first...

what brand and age aprox. And

Is the inside unit or outside unit running or not?

Billy

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It is not running and we were told that it has a reset button by a former service technician about 2 years ago. We do not know the age of the unit as we just bought the home 2 years ago. It is an Amana central air unit and the home was built in 1979.
Expert:  Billy replied 5 years ago.

Ok, if it is off on reset then the indoor unit would be blowing, and just the outdoor unit would not be running.

The high pressure cut out is on the upper side of the outdoor unit and is rubber coated button that barely protudes through the wall of the unit.

My concern is that if that is what tripped, it is a sign of overheat, dirty coil, bad outdoor fan motor.

Is the indoor unit running?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

The furnace is running the fan, but the outdoor unit is not running. We looked for the reset switch but could not find it. Can you help us locate it?

Expert:  Billy replied 5 years ago.

Look for where the wires go into the outdoor unit. There is a box on the side of the house which may have fuses in it. If so, make sure they are good. Also make sure breaker in panel is reset. Follow the wires from the box on the outside of the house to where it goes into the condenser. Take that cover plate off and the reset should be inside there.

I am available for follow up. Make sure of the breaker and fuses though.

And another thing to check is if you have a drain pump by the furnace. If you do, it is possibly too full and turning off control power to the condenser.

Billy

Billy, HVAC Technician
Experience: Endorsed for unlimited heating, cooling, oil burners, boilers, refrigeration, hydronics