Rick Mather
Rick Mather, HVAC Technician
Experience:  35 years experience, HVAC

The blower motor on my goodman furnace makes noise when the

The blower motor on my goodman furnace makes noise when the heater is in use but not when the air conditioner is in use. what is causing this? I have replaced just about everything I can, except the aux limit switch at the base of the blower unit. There is also a capacitor to the motor. There are no more blinking codes on the logic board. I cleared out a bunch of crap from the inside of the coil mounted ontop of my furnace thinking this was causing the camstat limit switch to open. that seemed to cure that problem, and increased air flow when air conditioning.   But I still have motor noise when the Heater is in use. What could be the problem?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Rick Mather replied 7 years ago.
All I can think of is maybe the bearings are going in the motor and at low speed which is heat they are noisey and at high speed it doesn't show up but listen close maybe you can hear it also.

Please Advise Back
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Your answer was correct the motor bearings were toast!! New motor and capacitor quiet as a baby, well almost. Also found a strange paper coating on the inside of the coils, removed this because it was getting moldy and blocking air flow, and now I have quiet, great airflow and not freezing. Thank You!!