Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial

I have a Thin-Boy senior furnace and I just need to light the

Customer Question

I have a Thin-Boy senior furnace and I just need to light the pilot. I don't even know where the pilot is located. Please help.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 7 years ago.

hello rgying,

ready for a try at lighting the pilot?

Expert:  BillyHvac replied 7 years ago.

Locate the gas line coming into the furnace. You mat have to take a door off. The gas pipe will end up going into a gas valve, kinda square metal thing, then it comes out of that valve and goes to the burner.

Let me know when you are ready to proceed.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I could not wait for the answer so I started playing with it and discovered the pilot light location and the pilot valve. I have lit many furnaces in my time, but this was to say the least unusual. I actually found a wire pilot light match holder hanging behind the furnace. This gave me a clue to the location. I shut down the thermostat and the gas valve at the unit and opened the pilot light valve, it took several minutes for the pilot light to light. After several minutes I opened the main furnace valve and turned up the thermostat and BINGO !! I had a flame. Again it took several minutes for the fan to kick in to gear. It seems to be working O.K. for now Thank you for trying.
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 7 years ago.

you are welcome. I am glad you got it going.