Jim Eastwood
Jim Eastwood, HVAC Mechanic
Experience:  I HAVE OVER 35 YEARS EXPERIENCE INSTALLING ,SERVICING, SELLING AND TROUBLESHOOTING RESIDENTIAL HVAC
15636860

Furnace pilot will not stay lit. I replaced the thermocouple

Furnace pilot will not stay lit. I replaced the thermocouple but it still won't stay lit. Is the gas valve the next thing to suspect?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  The Home Smithy replied 5 years ago.

HiCustomer

You may have a defective thermocouple. You can test it if you have a DVOM (digital volt ohm meter) Set the selector to millivolts (mv) ad place the probes on the exterior grounding and the end of the part that screws into the valve body (please see picture).. If you place the bulb into a flame on your stove you should get about 15 -20 mv. If not the thermocouple is no good.

graphic

Please post any other concerns you may have here.

Best regards, XXXXX XXXXX Smithy

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The thermocouple is good.
Expert:  Jim Eastwood replied 5 years ago.
smitty are you still there?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The thermocouple is good. I know I have gas flow. I have 24 volts at the gas valve. I'm still asking what to suspect next.
Perhaps smitty is getting some rest where the themocouple screws into the gas valve are there two wires coming out of that area
If not my next question is when you light the pilot is there a godd flame hitting the thermocouple and surrounding it and are you pressing in the button firmly and holding for atleast 45 seconds?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
There are two wires from the transformer going in to the gas valve. I have 24 volts across them.
I am talking about what is called a thermocouple limit and the two wire would literally come from the area where the thermocouple screw in to the gas valve do you have those in this case
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
<p>Yes, the end of the thermocouple is surounded by flame, and I've held the button all the way counter-clockwise for more than two minutes each time I tried.     No, there are no wires coming from where the thermocouple screws in.</p>
The gas valve is defective and must be changed. I have answered your ? by eliminating all other possabilities please hit accept and bonuses are greatfully accepted for late night work it's 2:20 here in ga Thanks Jim Eastwood
Jim Eastwood, HVAC Mechanic
Experience: I HAVE OVER 35 YEARS EXPERIENCE INSTALLING ,SERVICING, SELLING AND TROUBLESHOOTING RESIDENTIAL HVAC
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Approximately how much does a gas valve cost at a supply house..
If you can get it wholesale between 50 and 100 dollars many suppliers are wholesale only due to liability and liscense issues
If I have answered all your ?'s please hit accept if not let's continue
thanks