Billy
Billy, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Endorsed for unlimited heating, cooling, oil burners, boilers, refrigeration, hydronics
12672042

Why does my boiler keep needing to be reset

Customer Question

Why does my boiler keep needing to be reset?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Billy replied 5 years ago.
Well that covers a lot of territory. It depends on the make and age of the unit and the type of reset you are having to push. Gas or oil?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It is a Gas burner, and I think the make is either Enerjet or Honeywell (I see both names on the boiler). And I am pushng the red reset button on the part of the boiler which has the part that gauges the maximum temperature the water gets to.

Hope this helps.
Expert:  Billy replied 5 years ago.

ok, do you happen to have the model # XXXXX the control available?

I am assuming we are going off on a limit. But will know more if I know the control you are resetting

Billy

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The model number of the boiler is BG-3. Is that what you're looking for?
Expert:  Billy replied 5 years ago.
I would really need the name and # XXXXX the control box that has the reset button.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok, I think I got the right information this time. It is a Hooneywell Manual Reset Aquastat type L4006E, L4008E.
Expert:  Billy replied 5 years ago.

Ok, this is a limit device which can trip on either high or low temps. I would see what your boiler temp is set for,m and then look at the setting for the reset control.

Example - you have your boiler set at 180 degrees and the reset control set at 190 degrees. The boiler overheats and the reset control trips to shut down the boiler.

Sometimes people will turn up the boiler temp and not the reset temp and cause nuisance trips.

If this is not the case, I would identify why the boiler is overheating, even if it takes calling a serviceman.

Check the set temp and the trip temp.

Billy

Billy, HVAC Technician
Experience: Endorsed for unlimited heating, cooling, oil burners, boilers, refrigeration, hydronics
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Where do I find the "set temp" and "Trip temp"?
Expert:  Billy replied 5 years ago.
On your aquastat ( the unit that turns on the pump and has a thermoprobe mounted in the side of the boiler) will be a "desired temp setting". The trip temp is on the reset control you are pushing the red button on.
Expert:  Billy replied 5 years ago.

New info...Your controller with the button should have 2 pointers, one for desired and one for limit. Sonds like you are over shooting the set point. Spread the temp diff a bit.

You may need a new controller.

Expert:  Billy replied 5 years ago.
Any luck?