BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech
Experience:  Endorsed for unlimited heating, cooling, oil burners, boilers, refrigeration, hydronics

Why does my boiler keep needing to be reset?

Customer Question

Category: HVAC
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 7 years ago.

Well that covers a lot of territory. It depends on the make and age of the unit and the type of reset you are having to push. Gas or oil?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

It is a gas burner, and I think the make is either Enerjet or Honeywell (I see both names on the boiler). And I am pushing the red reset button on the part of the boiler which has the part that gauges the maximum temperature the water gets to.
Hope this helps.

Expert:  BillyHvac replied 7 years ago.

Ok, do you happen to have the model number of the control available?

I am assuming we are going off on a limit. But will know more if I know the control you are resetting.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The model number of the boiler is BG-3. Is that what you're looking for?
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 7 years ago.

I would really need the name and number on the control box that has the reset button.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Ok, I think I got the right information this time. It is a Honeywell Manual Reset Aquastat type L4006E, L4008E.

Expert:  BillyHvac replied 7 years ago.

Ok, this is a limit device which can trip on either high or low temperatures. I would see what your boiler temperature is set for and then look at the setting for the reset control.

Example - you have your boiler set at 180 degrees and the reset control set at 190 degrees. The boiler overheats and the reset control trips to shut down the boiler.

Sometimes people will turn up the boiler temperature and not the reset temperature and cause nuisance trips. If this is not the case, I would identify why the boiler is overheating, even if it takes calling a serviceman.

Check the set temperature and the trip temperature.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Where do I find the "set temperature" and "Trip temperature"?

Expert:  BillyHvac replied 7 years ago.

On your aquastat (the unit that turns on the pump and has a thermoprobe mounted in the side of the boiler) will be a "desired temperature setting". The trip temperature is on the reset control you are pushing the red button on.

Your controller with the button should have 2 pointers, one for desired and one for limit. Sounds like you are over shooting the set point. Spread the temperatures different a bit.

You may need a new controller.