Rick Mather
Rick Mather, HVAC Technician
Experience:  35 years experience, HVAC
12095340

How do you replace a Trane Fan Motor

How do you replace a Trane Fan Motor?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Rick Mather replied 5 years ago.
Is this the blower motor?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes. We bought a new motor and have it hooked up but it isn't working right. If the fan is moved manually it will start but won't come up to speed.
Did you hook up a new capacitor
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes
<p>How many leads on motor and to what do you have them connected</p><p> </p><p>The browns go to the cap.</p>
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
They are going over to the house and write down what all leads are there and which ones are going to what. Be back to you in a few minutes with the information. At this point, we do not think the brown ones are going to the cap.
OK get back to me
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Here is what they have:

off furnace motor - black going to the capacitor
red going to black on the fan motor
off the capacitor - black going to fan motor and yellow going to a yellow on fan motor
blue, red, brown with white trace, and brown that are not currently hooked up to anything.

Any suggestions?
The black lead will be high speed cooling, red is low heat (NOT USED blue is med low or yellow is med high)the browns and the capacitor
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I'm confused. What should be connected to what?
Black wire is HIGH speed Cooling , Red is LOW speed heating , The RED and Yellow NOT USED, White will be Neutrel and the browns goto the capaictor
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I understand all that; however, there is no white wire.
Whats the voltage? Is there a little wiring diagram on the new motor
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
220.

By the way, another question - where does the red and black wires from the furnace motor go to?
Red and Black should work for 220 vac.. Did you get an exact replacement motor here and all the leads should end up in a juction box

Can take piture of motor wiring diagram and then upload the picture to this site?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
There was no wiring diagram with the new motor.

Here it all is - sorry if I'm so confused:

Red wire from furnace motor - goes to where??
Black wire from furnace motor - goes to where??

red wire from fan motor - goes to where?
black wire from fan motor - goes to where?
brown and brown/white trace wires - goes to capacitor - correct??
yellow and blue from fan motor do not get used - correct?

Red to Red, Black to Black, you have the rest right
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Okie doke, we will give that a try. Thanks alot.
good luck
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It worked - yahoo!!   Thank you so much!
Thats a winner!

Don't forget to leave postive feedback and bonuses are welcomed
Rick Mather, HVAC Technician
Experience: 35 years experience, HVAC