Kenton Guidry
Kenton Guidry, HVAC Technician
Experience:  12 years install/service experience.
15860845

Our thermostat;s battery went dead. After we replaced the

Customer Question

Our thermostat;s battery went dead. After we replaced the batteries, the Ac will not come on. It reads "HOLD -AC". Is there a way to reset the thermostat?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Kenton Guidry replied 7 years ago.
What is the brand and model of your thermostat?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Honeywell chromotherm III

I have looked on the manual for your thermostat and hold means that the temperature will "hold" at what it is set at. Did you change the batteries because the unit was not working?

You can view the manual at the following link.

http://www51.honeywell.com/pacific/common/documents/T8602_T8611_Chron.pdf

Kenton Guidry, HVAC Technician
Experience: 12 years install/service experience.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The display was totally blank, so we replaced the batteries and it came back on with the :HOLD -AC message and the AC/fan will not come on no matter how low we put the temp. You can press HOLD to keep the temp you want, but this is different.
Expert:  Mark Henley replied 7 years ago.

No , there is now way to reset that thermostat. There is also no way to get rid of the problem you are having,. I have seen it go back to normal after a week or two but have also seen it never go back to normal. You should probably replace it.

Thanks

Mark.

Expert:  Jim Eastwood replied 7 years ago.
The AC symbol on this stat means you have lost 24 volts from furnace. This may mean you don't have 110 at furnace. The battery went dead because it was weak and then you lost power at furnace. Make sure the blower door is secure and the switch to the furnace is on and that the breaker in the panel is on.If this helps or if you need more assistance let me know Thanks