Rick or Nick in Texas
Rick or Nick in Texas, HVAC Technician, Manager, Owner
Experience:  25yrs State Licensed/ own/ operate/ repair/ install/ design-> AC & Heating company in Texas
14943583
HVAC

How to reset Honeywell thermostat?

One can always "Overide" the preset schedules by setting the temp at desired setting and pressing "Hold". If Hold is not pushed after setting temp it will only temporary be set and revert back to the factory or preset schedule at the preset programmed time.

Okay, to do the reset here is what you’re looking at but will take you back to a clean slate.

This will reset ALL settings even the heat pump or non-heat pump, single stage 2 stage, etc. All of them and you will have to start from scratch to set up stat like when you first installed it.

Okay, to do a reset as follows:

1. Press and release the "system" and "fan" key at same time
  2. Press and hold "system" and "down" button until screen goes blank and "0680" appears on screen
  3. Press the "up" or "down" to change "0680" to "0710", there should be a flashing "0"
  4. Press "up" or "down" key to change "0" to a "1"
  5. Press the "done" key
Read full interaction below »

I have a Honeywell thermostat that has outsmarted me. The model no is rth7400d1008. I pressed some button and now the thermostat will only turn on if it's on the "schedule" that I did not set up. So when I set the thermostat to heat to 70, for example, it will stay on for an hour, without changing temperature. Anyway, I'm not at all interested in using the schedule feature and I just want to know how to restart it and have a clean slate. I tried taking out and replacing the batteries, but it remembered the "schedule" that it decided I need. Thank you so much for your help!

Category: HVAC

Sounds like you accidentally may have reset or chose a pre-programmed schedule also that stat has what is called an Adaptive Intelligent Recovery system (pg. 53).

There should be a master reset that will erase all programmed schedules ones if not just rewrite them. Here is a link to the manual:http://customer.honeywell.com/techlit/pdf/PackedLit/69-1726.pdf

Hope this helps.

Customer reply replied 7 years ago.

I already have the thermostat manual and have already looked at it. I need more help to reset it.

Did you try the master rest yet? It will erase any settings that are scheduled and take you back to the "clean slate", then you can either reenter your schedule or just manually set temperature and use the Hold feature.

Also that has the Adaptive Intelligent Recovery System which adapts to your use and climate. You can turn this feature off in the installer setup mode if it is intrusive to your settings. I just sent the link earlier in case you did not have a manual. They are handy in doing the above procedures and most people have misplaced their so it was just habit I sent that link just in case.

Let me know if I can be of any more help.

Customer reply replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for your reply. I have scoured the manual, but I can't find anything about a master reset. Did I miss it? Or is there a trick that I don't know about? Thank you for your help

Ok to do a reset as follows:

• Press and release the "system" and "fan" key at same time
  • Press and hold "system" and "down" button until screen goes blank and "0680" appears on screen
  • Press the "up" or "down" to change "0680" to "0710", there should be a flashing "0"
  • Press "up" or "down" key to change "0" to a "1"
  • Press the "done" key