Rick Mather
Rick Mather, HVAC Technician
Experience:  35 years experience, HVAC
12095340

We bought a mid 1960s house and have a Coleman forced air furnace,

We bought a mid 1960s house and have a Coleman forced air furnace, unknown age; control area says Model 36C85, Type 201, while furnace wall says Model 8638, Series 636. This morning it worked for awhile, then stopped heating, and there's now a persistent clicking. Tried shutting down and restarting, still the clicking. Not sure if this even has a pilot light. No gas smell. I know nothing about furnaces. How do I get it working again?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Rick Mather replied 7 years ago.

Sounds like the furnace is attepting to light with the clicking noise

You can see if it does light the pilot and see if it goes right out

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
It's just clicking (cylindrical thing), and I don't see any obvious place for a pilot light. Should I try again, wait for the clicking, and then hold a flame somewhere near the clicking?
Well if its sparking it should light itself sometimes you can see slight spark where the pilot light is if dark enough
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I see it sparking, though much lower down (not at the control knob) and back a ways. But it seems to just keep sparking, not lighting. Am I supposed to hold a fireplace lighter near the spark or something?
No it sounds like there is a gas flow problem it should have already lighted
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
What do you suggest I do? I know nothing about the system (plus it's President's Day). iIt was working fine hours ago, so I don't know what would've changed..

Well the gas valve could be the problem or theres blockage in the gas delivery system

If its not even lighting I would not recommend you do any thing more as it most likely needs some parts

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Oh, Rick, and I just tried lighting a stove burner, which worked, so we still have gas in the house.
Thats good but that just narrows it down to the gas valve most likely
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Is there something I can/should fiddle with? I see a handle on the gas feed line... but as mentioned, it was working hours ago.
If not, anything I can do today (being a holiday)? If I need to call someone, who -- a gas company person, or a furnace repair person? Fortunately, I'm in Southern Calif. and it's not too cold.
Well there not much you can do I think the gas valve is not letting the pilot gas thru for what ever reason. If your handy try removing th pilot gas line see if there is dirt in orfice but thats all I would suggest make sure you close the gas isolation valve first
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
If I need to call someone, who -- a gas company person, or a furnace repair person?
I would call the gas company first
I beleive they would have your parts if needed more readlly available