Rick Mather
Rick Mather, HVAC Technician
Experience:  35 years experience, HVAC

I have a Rheem Imperial 90 Plus propane furnace, model number

Customer Question

I have a Rheem Imperial 90 Plus propane furnace, model number RGEB-07EC-FS....the igniter will glow and then you hear a click and the burners will flame up for about a second, then you hear another click and the flame goes out,,,I've already had the remote flame sensor replaced...I've seen on-line that there are problems with this unit, RGEB, any ideas what the problem is...I've had this problem off and on for 4 years,,,many service calls
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Rick Mather replied 5 years ago.
Replace the glow stick it acts as the flame sensor also and its most likely cracked
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi Rick...Thanks for answering,,,even though the glow stick glows, it may be bad?
Yes it does two fuctions it lights the flame and then senses it also and if there is slight crack it opens and stops senses thus flame out
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Ok...Thank you,,I'll let you know what happens
Expert:  The Home Smithy replied 5 years ago.

HiCustomer

If your ignitor looks like this it is not the problem. Look for a round stick that looks like the second picture and clean it off with some steel wool or fine sand paper. This will be the flame sensor.

graphicgraphic

please post any other concerns you may have here.

If this has answered your question please click the accept button next to my post.

Best regards, XXXXX XXXXX Smithy

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The ignitor looks like the picture except the ceramic part is a little smaller on mine, a square not a rectangle, and I already replaced the sensor with a new one

The picture of the igniter was only an example. So long as it looks similar that is not an issue.

Ok try this. Remove the thermostat from the wall. Connect the terminals for R (or RH) with W - this will send the call for heat to the unit. Leave them connected to see if the unit starts. If it starts normaly then the thermostat is defective. If it continues like it is then the control board is going to be your problem. If possible return the flame sensor as defective and try another just to be sure it isnt a bad sensor.

I did some looking around the internet and I see that the unit has had some issues. Mostly with the control boards. I did not see any specific pattern or anything that leads me to think that this particular unit has had excessive amounts of consumer complaints or problems out of the ordinary. It may be that you are the unfortunate person that got the bad one of the lot.

Please post any other concerns you may have here.

Best regards, XXXXX XXXXX Smithy

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hey Rick....I replaced the igniter(glow stick), it glowed brighter than the old one ever did, and the furnace lit the first time, it worked every time for several hours, then I went to work, and when I came home, it was doing the same thing. The igniter still glows very bright but the flame only lights for about a second, then you hear a little click, and the flame goes out ... any ideas?

I also bypassed the thermostat, like Home Smithy recommended but that did not work either
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hey Home....I bypassed the thermostat, and that did'nt work, so I went a head and changed the igniter, it worked for several hours but it;s back doing the same thing
Well if you changed the flame sensor and glow stick the last thing would be the gas valve