Rick Mather
Rick Mather, HVAC Technician
Experience:  35 years experience, HVAC
12095340

I have a Napoleon natural gas fireplace model #GS3500N, serial

Customer Question

I have a Napoleon natural gas fireplace model #GS3500N, serial # XXXXX I can't get my pilot to stay light. I can light it with the igniter but as soon as I let out the butten the pilot goes out. I've had a heating company change the thermocouple and thermopile. That didn't seem to make any difference. He said that I need a new gas valve. Could there be something else wrong? Is there something else I could do?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Rick Mather replied 8 years ago.
No the gas valve would be the only other thing that I would have told you to change other than the thermocouple which would be first
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Could my gas valve have been going bad over a time? It seem like the flame would go out sometimes when my furnace would kick on,but the pilot would stay on. Can the gas valve be cleaned or something? I was hoping that something could be done to help save money, I'm on a tight budget.
That sounds like the gas line might be to small but now it sounds like the gas valve won't even let the pilot stay on so change the gas valve and maybe increase the size of tubing or piping to it should solve the starving problem also
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
The fireplace was in the house when I bought it. I've been calling the local heating places. They figer it's about 13 years old. I dont think the line is too small. I've been able to use the fireplace all winter so far until 2 weeks ago when I could not get the pilot to stay lite. The other things were happing for about a month, but it was able to work for a few hours at a time. Can The gas valve be cleaned or do I need to get a new one put in?
Maybe just the gas valve then have it replaced
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Can it be cleaned?
I don't think so and would not recommend taking it apart Good Luck
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Could it have been going bad by some of those problems I mention earlier?
Yes could have been creating those problems