The Home Smithy, Handyman
Experience:  Handyman

i have a trane heat pump with aux heat and central air and

i have a trane heat pump with aux heat and central air and the emergency light is flashing on the thermostat which is a baystat240a any advise.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  The Home Smithy replied 5 years ago.

HiCustomer

Are you still recieving warm air from the unit?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Yes unit is still blowing warm air from duct work. Sorry for the delay in anserwing I was driving home from West Virginia.

Expert:  HVACguy replied 5 years ago.

hi this is scott , when you say the light is flashing , is it blinking on and off or coming on occasionally, stay on a while and then go off

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

The light is blinking on and off roughly one blink per second. If you take the normal/emergency switch and go from normal to emergency and back to the normal position light will go out for a while but then come back and start blinking again.

Expert:  HVACguy replied 5 years ago.
is this a digital stat and is this the emergency heat light.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No this is a mechanical stat with 2 mercury bulbs and yes it is the emergency heat light blinking.
Expert:  HVACguy replied 5 years ago.
is everything running as expected, does the outdoor unit seem to be running normal, i know you said you were getting warm air, and did that light ever come on before other than when you switch it to emer. heat
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Everything seems to be normal other than it seems that it never shuts down and runs a long time. This light has never done this before. I am confused and worried that something is wrong and not to mention that the electric bill is going sky high due to this problem.
Expert:  HVACguy replied 5 years ago.
hi again sorry i abandoned you had to leave to go to work for a few hours. by best guess is there is a problem in the t-stat ,possibly a short, the emergency heat light should not come on unless you move it to that position, and your heat strips are most likely on, the unit is desighned as to run lower speed fan when strips are on so they won't burn up .you need a service tech to come out and check your unit, unless you are familiar with how to use a multimeter/amprobe.. let me know if i can help you any more, if i was any help at all. don't forget to push the accept button, thanks
HVACguy, HVAC Technician
Experience: I have 28 years experience in installation ,service, and design.
Customer

I must also appologise for seeming like I abandoned you. It was unavoidable as I was called out on an emergency water line breach. I contract with a local CSD to do their water line breaches, breaks and ruptures. When they call I pretty much have to drop everything and go as the majority of the areas water is dependant on the one system.

HVAC guy is pretty close to your problem. As you have a mechanical thermostat, and the system is still operating there is nothing wrong with it. It is also sending the correct signal for the systems condition. That condition is the heat pump part of it has failed. Whether from mechanical failure of a part or from a loss of coolant.

What this does in turn is activate the electric back up heating coils. These are there for just this reason. They provide emergency heat when the units heat pump fails. This, as you well know, kills your electric budget in very short order.

The indicator light is there to advise you of this condition.

Unfortunatly there is little that you can do as as homeowner. Highly specialised tools, and equipment are required as well as state and EPA required certification for proper handeling, and recovery, of the refrigerant.

All in all, HVACguys advice to have a qualified serviceperson come out and have a look at the unit is the best solution.

A word of advice that will keep you in warm comfort, and allow for a long service of your unit is to have it professionsally serviced annually.

HVACguy has put a lot of effort into answering your question. And his repair recomendation was the correct one.

Please accept his answer and not mine. He has earned it.

Thank you,

Best regards, XXXXX XXXXX Smithy

The Home Smithy, Handyman
Experience: Handyman