Jim Eastwood
Jim Eastwood, HVAC Mechanic
Experience:  I HAVE OVER 35 YEARS EXPERIENCE INSTALLING ,SERVICING, SELLING AND TROUBLESHOOTING RESIDENTIAL HVAC

I have a gas fireplace (natural gas) that shuts itself off

Customer Question

I have a gas fireplace (natural gas) that shuts itself off (the pilot too) after it operates for about an hour. When I remove the logs it operates longer (about two hours) before it shuts down. Any suggestions?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Jim Eastwood replied 5 years ago.
Typically this problem is caused by either a bad pilot generator or themocouple or a weak pilot flame. When you light the pilot the themocouple is the copper or silver rod that the flame from pilot should surround. If it is surrounded by a strong pilot flame and the pilot goes out the thermocouple or pilot generator is bad. If the flame does not surround the thermocouple the problem is the pilot flame itself. This [a weak pilot is usually caused by a dirty orfice on the pilot assembly. I usually dissasemble the pilot remove and clean orfice. Hope this helps. Thanks, Jim
If this answer has helped please click accept so I can be paid for my time and knowledge. Thanks, Jim
Expert:  Rick replied 5 years ago.
Jim's answer is the most likely cause but there is one other possibility that sounds like it might apply since the fireplace runs longer when you remove the logs. Thermocouples need what's called a cold junction in order to operate properly. This means that only the top ~1/3 of the thermocouple should be in the flame. If the bottom half of the thermocouple is heated up it will not function properly. Since the operation improves when you remove the "logs" the logs may be directing the flame towards the bottom of the thermocouple.
Good morning we have given you the answers to your problem if your fireplace is still not working it is because you need more than information to get it going. If that is the case please hit accept now so i can be paid for the correct information I have supplied.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I changed the thermocouple and the fire still goes out after about an hour (with logs in place) and about two hours if the logs are not in place. Any other suggestions?
Refer to the two other answers given and pay careful attention to the descriptions of how the thermocouple's top 1/3 should be surrounded by the pilot flame if not the pilot assembly must be removed and the orfice cleaned.The only thing we haven't covered is overall gas pressure. If it is verrry cold in your area of the country are the other gas appliances in your house operating normally
Jim Eastwood, HVAC Mechanic
Experience: I HAVE OVER 35 YEARS EXPERIENCE INSTALLING ,SERVICING, SELLING AND TROUBLESHOOTING RESIDENTIAL HVAC