Jim Eastwood
Jim Eastwood, HVAC Mechanic
Experience:  I HAVE OVER 35 YEARS EXPERIENCE INSTALLING ,SERVICING, SELLING AND TROUBLESHOOTING RESIDENTIAL HVAC
15636860

I have a goodman heat pump that blowing cold air on start up

Customer Question

I have a goodman heat pump that blowing cold air on start up .the air handler turns on and off at the same time as the compressor.I replaced the blower fan time delay but still does the same thing . I thought the inside unit delayed a few minutes allowing it to warm up so that it wouldn't blow cold air? thank you for any help brook.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Rick Mather replied 5 years ago.
On the time delay relay are there any settings that might not be set up correctly
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no it just has plu on terminals for female spade connectors.It says its 10sec delay on make 90sec delay on break SPDT. No actuall adjustments.
So the 10 seconds after start up is not enough time for the heat pump to make enough heat in the plenham so it would blow warm air instead it feels cold of the the time delay is not long enough
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
doesn't seem too delay for 10 seconds . and at the end of the cycle they shut off at the same time instead of staying on for 90 seconds. would there be any adjustment on the curcuit board ? It has setting for the defrost cycle.It also has an electric heat strip . Would that turn on for a few seconds to warm it up first?
Expert:  Jim Eastwood replied 5 years ago.

It sounds like the fan coil may be being energized by the G circuit on your thermostat instead of the w or y circuit which should energize the fan for heating. Take the g wire loose at fan coil probably wire nutted and with it loose call for heat and tell me if the fan still comes on

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
sorry be gone couple days . I did take the wire nut off the green wire at the air handler and the fan stayed off.Put it back on it went on.
Let us know when your back
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I'm here now .I ment to say ive been gone.sorry
So unit time delay does not hold back enough so you don't blow cold air
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes. I would think that there is a delay for the air handler fan. Allowing the evap to warm up before it turns on . I notice it more on real cold days.
Well it appears there is no adjustment to increase the delay on time for the fan unless you install an after market delay on relay. This would allow you more time to heat up your pleham
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It has a Square black relay thats a double pole single throw with 12v coil. It also has another relay which I replaced . It said it was a 10 sec delay and 90sec delay.I don't know if that is really long enough.The wierd is it doesn't seem to delay on start or shut off . This relay is not shown in the wiring diagram either.
Maybe defective?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

what turns the emergancy heat? Besides the switch at the thermestat.

Second stage thermostat setting most likely turns on the emergency heat if you tighten the differential bands you might help that way

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
would it be an outside temp settig or inside?
Inside tighen the way they kick in closer together and maybe tis will allow hotter discharge temps
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
where would this be located? Also eairler you said that the fan should be enegized by the w or y curcuit. When i took the wire nut of the green wire which was the G curcuit the fan stopped. Does this indicate that it is being energized the G cucuit.

Fan would be energized by R closing to W1 for heat and R to Y and G for cooling

But R to G will energize fan on with out any heat or cooling

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I'll check that and get back to you tomorrow. Have a god night.
hi this is Jim I am ready to help are u there
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes Im here
Good I think missed the fact that your indoor fan is indeed being controlled by the G wire Disconnect the g wire at the fan coil and the fan will stop immediately as you described earlier then with G wire still loose call for heat at t'stat emergency heat will be fine and see if the fan delays or doesn''t delay ordoes not come on Let me know
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok. I will try that first thing tomorrow. This unit is at my mothers.If it delay or not what would be the next step.
I haven't seen where your thermostat has been discussed if it is a programable in the setup and configuration section of the installation manual if it is programmable g is being used to power fan during heat emergency heat fan on and cool there is a place in the literature for this thermostat where how the fan is controlled in heating is discussed and choices are given as you know this has been goimg on for days if my info has helped please click accept and a bonus considering time spent would be greatly appreciated might want to accept on Rick also as he has been helping.
I will be available from 8-10 tommorow morning maybe earlier then gone for the day although I will take my laptop and will be available occasionly tommorow