bettybull, Licensed plumber
Experience:  30+ years installing hot water systems

my quadrafire mt vernon will not start up says auger jammed.

my quadrafire mt vernon will not start up says auger jammed. tried everything i can think of. please help 15 degrees outside.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  bettybull replied 7 years ago.

Try the folowing to solve your problem with a jammed augger. Turn off the power to the unit.

1 Emply all the pellets out of the hopper and vacuumed out the area where Ithe auger is. See if you can move the augger.

2. If this doesn't help. Pull the feed assembly which is attached with one screw, then check the auger spring set screw to make sure it is tight. You should also check the optical sensor and plate. Check that the auger set screw is not catching on anything.

3. If you can't turn the auger by hand, it might be a bad motor or sometimes the motor motor gears get misaligned inside the gearing going to the auger and bind everything so you can not turn the auger. In that case you will probably need a new motor assembly.

Contact me if you need additional information.

Regards, Bettybull