hvacmrfixit
hvacmrfixit, HVAC Technician
Experience:  30 years of commercial and residential heating and cooling installations and troubleshooting
14244196

I have a Day and Night furnace, model 376C that will not ignite.

Customer Question

I have a Day and Night furnace, model 376C that will not ignite. Checked all wiring connections, and they appear okay. What are the troubleshooting options?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  hvacmrfixit replied 8 years ago.
What is the unit doing when you turn up the thermostat/
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Nothing.

Do you hear a small blower start inside of furnace? When was last air filter was changed

Do you have a digital thermostat? Can you remove the white wire from the back of the thermostat and attach it to thhe red wire on the R terminal to see if furnace starts(bypasses thermostat)
If that starts furnace then batteries are dead in thermostat or it is defective
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I changed the batteries. The problem of the unit starting, but not igniting still persists. Jumping the thermostat did not solve this issue.
Any blinking leds on circuit board or module?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

I didn't see any. I did find a thermo sensor on the fan drum that was tripped. When i reset it the furnace fired. However, the sensor keeps tripping. I have jumped the sensor, and waiting for the unit to refire.

Oh it must have lost power at some point and short cycled the blower causing it to trip safety
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Since I have been here on site this evening there has been no power loss (over 3 hours). Is there another possible cause for tripping the sensor?
None that I'm aware of maybe a fluke? If it happens again you'lle know where to look first. Thanks Don
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Hi Don,

I had to order a new limit sensor, which I installed on the unit last night. However, it did not solve the issue. The furnace fires up fine, but will only run for a couple of minutes before tripping the sensor again.