Robert
Robert, HVACR Educator
Experience:  Licensed Mechanical Contractor, 30 years experience, 20 years teaching experience

i have a honeywell thermostat that periodically keeps clicking

Customer Question

i have a honeywell thermostat that periodically keeps clicking on and off.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Robert replied 5 years ago.
Hi, I'm Bob. Can you give me a few more details? Is it a programmable thermostat? What actually is clicking?

Thanks
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes it is programmable. When it goes on it clicks and the red light goes on. Perodically, it's 'clicking on' then off, every few seconds. This goes on for about 5-10 minutes, then it goes off for awhile. It's been doing this for about 2 months. Can't figure out what's wrong. or how to fix it. It's mostly annoying.
Expert:  Robert replied 5 years ago.
So the thermostat is clicking not the furnace right?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes the thermostat clicks and lights but the furnace is not going on unless the temperature drops. Right now its doing it. It's 68 and the lights clicking on (green - not red like i said before)
Expert:  Robert replied 5 years ago.
Ok, can you take the thermostat off to do a little experiment? I need you to find the wires coming in and take off the red and white wires and hold them together and see if the furnace runs normally.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
My husband is afraid to try that since it's 15 degrees outside. There are 2 screws & he's tried to take them off before but no luck.

Let me give a bit more details: The green(energy savings light) and yellow light (system) goes on and then after 3-4 seconds they both go off. (the furnace does not go on) Every 15 seconds or so this happens again. This goes on for about 10-15 minutes. then stops. When the temp drops the system light (yellow light) goes on & the furnace turns on properly.

Expert:  Robert replied 5 years ago.
You know, I believe you have a bad thermostat but you are right, as long as you have some heat, don't mess with it. I would be happy to get into this again when it's not so cold. I'm in Michigan and it's below zero so I understand. If you give me a model number of the thermostat i can give you better guidance to remove it and do further checking. I'm going to bed soon but if you wish to respond we can finish this up tomorrow.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Sorry that I didn't answer sooner. I did not get your answer on 1/15 night as I signed off online about 10 PM. I appreciate your help. I guess what we should do is replace the thermostat. But we're concerned with doing this now in the winter. Do you think that we could wait till the spring to fix it & just live with the clicking? Or is this possibly a sign that it might stop working altogether & we should fix it asap?
Expert:  Robert replied 5 years ago.
Hi, if you are comfortable and dealing with it I would wait a bit. Changing a thermostat is easy, the wiring is color specific (should be) I recommend White Rodgers brand programmable thermostats as they seem to be more user friendly. I use the White Rodgers 1F80 in my house and my rentals. They have upgraded these. I have included a link to these thermostats to help you make a decision.

http://www.white-rodgers.com/wrdhom/common/ptech/thermo/Classic_80_info.htm
Robert, HVACR Educator
Experience: Licensed Mechanical Contractor, 30 years experience, 20 years teaching experience
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for your help today!