Curtis
Curtis, Designer
Experience:  9+ yrs of radiant and hydronic design for a wholesaler
15205314

How to adjust water temperature of boiler (Series 2 gas bo

Customer Question

How to adjust water temperature of boiler (Series 2 gas boilers).
Category: HVAC
Expert:  hvacmrfixit replied 5 years ago.
Look for an internal thermostat , inside cabinet and adjust to around 180 or so .
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
This is a 2-zone system.   The lower zone functions properly. The 2nd floor zone thermostat must be set at 80-85 degrees to maintain a room temperature of approximately 70 degrees.    I checked bleeders and no apparent air.
What is incoming water pressure? needs to be between 12 and 20 lbs
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Incoming water pressure is 13 pounds.   We cannot find any adjustment for inside the furnace for adjusting water temperature. The temperature right now is 140 degrees.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi, we're anxiously awaiting your reply so we can fix this problem and hit that little green accept button.
Can I have the make and model to see If I can find the adjustment for you Thanks
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The brand is Burnham, Series 2, gas boiler, Model #P-204-WP
On the side of the boiler you will see a control box maybe 5x6 inches turn the power off and loosen the screw on the cover and remove it , inside you'lle see a controller with a calibrated dial on it turn that dial to 200 degrees and see if that gets boiler to put out more heat once you fire it back up
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi again: We just received your message. We removed the cover, found the dial and it is already set between 180-200 degrees.   But we cannot get temperature in upper zone to go above 70 degrees even with thermostat turned to 85.   What can be the problem?
May be an air lock or a frozen pipe , Need to bleed radiators from the farthest to the closest to boiler , and feel pipes and they will go from hot to cold fowlowing a air lock or frozen section
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi there again, we have already bled the radiators and checked the pipes.
Turn up temp to 205 and see if that helps at all
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No change. Any other ideas?
Expert:  Ken Anderson III replied 5 years ago.
Does the system have one or two circulator motors?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It has two zones but one motor

take a hammer and pound on the pipes in different areas and see if you hear any difference in sound. also to break up calcium. don't hurt yourself doing this please! do you have well water?
Expert:  Rick Mather replied 5 years ago.

If all the zones are coming back equally hot then the floor that having problem heating might be short on radiation and might have to install more base board footage

cause your water is leaving plenty hot out of boiler being at 180-200

don't listen to that guy
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Rick, last heating season everything worked fine. None of the suggestions we received from the 3 HVAC specialists solved any of the problems or gave us an idea of what's wrong. We are now contacting a local heating contractor, RG Heating
Well you told us its not air bound and if the water is coming back hot and is not heating that zone it must be short on baseboard and one other exert agreed with my answer but if you find something different I would be glad to know whart happened
Expert:  Curtis replied 5 years ago.

Can you tell us the make and model of the circulator?( the motor that one of the other experts asked about) It will be close to the boiler on either the supply or return pipe and will have a wire running to it. Anything you cann tell us about it would be helpful because I think you do not have enough pump for the job.

Thanks