Edward, HVAC Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing and installing HVAC systems for 30+ years

i have an amana air command 90/95 furnace. The fan unit has

i have an amana air command 90/95 furnace. The fan unit has become intermittent.   The heating unit firing up is dependent on the fan starting. My guess is that I need to replace the fan. If you agree where do I buy the replacement fan?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Edward replied 7 years ago.

Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:

-Could you explain your situation a little more?

What fan are you referencing?

What is the make and model number of the furnace?

When was the last time the furnace was professionally serviced?

What is the age of the furnace?

What have you tried to correct the problem?

Do you have a digital camera that you could use to send pictures of the furnace if needed?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Hi Edward,

the model is either GUC-C or GUC-B (upflow) - the manual lists both models. I have a picture but no way to attach it here. Let me know how to send it to you. The unit was in the house when we moved in - guessing 10 years old. We had it serviced 18 months ago - and had this problem then. The tech said that these fans have this problem and we would need to replace it. Pretty sure he tested the power etc. The fan I am referring to (as described in the manual) is the vent blower motor. When the heat does not come on I go down, pull off the cover and hear a humming. I tap on that blower (or move the fins with a screw driver) and the blower starts and the gas lights then all is well. My real question is : a. do you agree I need a new unit b. where do I get (are there refiburshed, or only new etc) c. any reason I couldn't replace myself.

Expert:  Edward replied 7 years ago.

Yes from the information you have provided you will need to replace the draft inverter motor. If you have a HVAC supply store in your area they will have the motor or can order it for you. You may also order one by clicking here. If you order the part you will need the model number of the furnace or the part number of the draft inverter motor. You will want to install a new motor. Likely you can replace it yourself if you are good at using common hand tools. Many homeowners do not realize, the complications of not having a professional inspect the heating system yearly, can cause. If a fire, or worse, is caused by the furnace and there are no records of the furnace being maintained, the insurance company can and will deny the claim for damages.

Should you require further clarification, never hesitate to ask. It would be my pleasure to clarify my answer to your question. If after reviewing the above information, you have additional questions, I will be glad to answer them. My goal is your 100% satisfaction with all questions I answer.

Please click the green ACCEPT icon if you feel I have given a complete answer, and you can leave positive feedback. Positive feedback and bonuses are always greatly appreciated!

As always when using Just Answer your accept is required for me to be paid. By accepting you are agreeing that I have satisfactorily answered your questions. If you do not accept, your deposit if applicable, will remain in your Just Answer's account until you request otherwise.

Please do not accept unless you are 100% satisfied with the answer and feel you can leave positive feedback.

Note: If the icons or other text makes the page unreadable please refresh the page. Sorry for this inconvenience.