buck3371
buck3371, HVAC Technician
Experience:  17 yrs experience installs,service & maintenance hvac
11347194

Hi,I have a Grant 50/90 euroflame boiler.It has not been started

Customer Question

Hi,I have a Grant 50/90 euroflame boiler.It has not been started for six months because of heating cost.I ordered oil,and ran the boiler before the oil arrived,but then it ran out.When the tank was filled,i blead the system,but it will not fire up.It trys to start,but after 10 sec,it shuts down.Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  coolman1973 replied 5 years ago.
Hi, do u have a 1 or 2 oil lines
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Only one
Alot of times when u let the tank run out and then refilled sedement gets stirred up from the bottom of the tank. replace oil filter and try bleeding it again. Let me know what happens.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hi,still not working.What i have done so far is I went to the source(ie) Oil Tank.Took filter,and cleaned,next I followed the Oil pipe to where it enters the Boiler.I tried bleeding this,and no oil came out,so i took of the pipe,where it enters the burner,and Oil started to seep out.After connecting this back up,I loosened the bleed nut,and tryed again,still not fire up,but after a few seconds,I tryed again,but this time I left the bleed nut loose,the fuel started to gush out,and then i tightened the bleed nut up,and tryed again.Still no joy.The only thing that i can think of what caused this problem,is dirt,that was picked up when the tank ran dry,and blocked the system.I think the next thing that i need to check,would be the jet.Or do you think It may be something else.And lastly,would ti be hard to change the jet,if that is what you think may be the cause.

Sorry for this being longwinded,but i am trying to give you as much information as I can.

Best regards

Brian

sounds like u have oil to the gun, does it start and the go into lock out until u reset the gun? Is that the only filter ? Yes i would pull the piston out and make sure its clean.Is that a canister filter , that u opened up and took out the core?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi,You have totally,lost me now,(ie) gun, Piston, <I dont know what they are. The only filter that is present is on the outlet of the Oil tank,which has a small bowl in the bottom,which i took off and cleaned the bowl,and replaced,the filter that was inside it.As i said it starts up,when i switch the heating on for 5-10 sec,and then locks out.To restart again,I have to hit the reset button,but this still will not start the burner.
Expert:  buck3371 replied 5 years ago.

you need to verify that the pump is actually pumping. disconnect the small oil line going to the nozzle assy. & put it in a clear bottle and hit the reset. i use a pressure guage for this but i doubt you've got one. if it pumps good,cut it off ,pull the nozzle assy. & replace nozzle. be careful not to crack the porcelains or move electrode tip settings. be careful when it starts cause it sounds like you have seriously loaded it with raw fuel.if it fires and rumbles, kill the power and dont re-light it until the flames are totally out. if it does'nt light after that your transformer is probably weak. settings on electrodes are as follows:

1 half inch up above center hole in nozzle

1 eighth out in front of nozzle

1 eighth gap between electrodes

buck3371, HVAC Technician
Experience: 17 yrs experience installs,service & maintenance hvac
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hi Buck3371

Thank you for the very informative,step by step information.I done all this the morning,and after replacing the nozzel,and checking the settings,i had to clean the electrodes,and reset the gap,to your settings.It runs perfect now.I got the boiler fully serviced,2 months before i stopped using it,and the thermastat was set at 70c,and with this you could put and keep your hands on the rads,now i have it set to 60c,and now it you could not keep your hands on the rads.And also while running now,it is alot quiter,than before.I am going to except this,but after reading,if this sounds,wrong,please let me know. my e-mail is, XXXXX@XXXXXX.XXX.

Best regards

Brian

Expert:  buck3371 replied 5 years ago.
im not sure whether you have steam or water system. if it is water you will have a pump near the boiler in the piping. if it is steam you will have a sight glass on front of boiler. either way, a water system heats water to 180 or 190 f. there is a temp guage on front of boiler , i need more info to tell you more. got to go to work. i will check back this evening.get me all this info you can and i will help you as best i can.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hi Buck3371

Its a central heating oil boiler,that heats the water,for the hot tank,and the radiators It seems to be running very quiet,and producing better heat,compared to after it had its full service.Have had it running three times too day on 2 hour intervals,due to it snowing, and every thing seems ok,if not better than before,thanks to yourself.

Expert:  buck3371 replied 5 years ago.
well if its a water system it should run about 180f and you can verify with the compound guage on front of boiler. you dont want much more than that because you dont want to make steam. temr is settable by aquastat located on boiler. usually grey honeywell box. pretty easy to set, remove cover & there will be a numbered wheel, set to 180 if need be. pressue on compound guage should be no more than 20psi, 12psi is perfect, in-between these is o.k. happy heating.Cool
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for all your help,and very informative information.

Have a Happy, Christmas& a Happy New Year.

Brian