Accurate Joe
Accurate Joe, Owner of Accurate Mechanical.
Experience:  25 years experince in HVACR field. I am a master electrican. I own an operate Accurate Mechanical,
12533851

My goodman gas furnace burners turn off about 5 seconds after

Customer Question

My goodman gas furnace burners turn off about 5 seconds after the high speed fan kicks on. I tried running it with the acces panel off to check for a choked return and I am having the same problem. Any ideas ?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Jason Martin replied 8 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to JustAnswer HVAC

Sometimes when this happens it could be a simple problem such as a dirty flame sensor. When the flame sensor gets covered in carbon soot it cannot pick up the millivolts that are generated by the flame passing over the sensor. In turn, if it does not sense the flame, it will tell the gas valve to stop the gas flow. That is when your burners stop.
An easy way to rectify this situation is to clean the sensor with a green pad or steel wool. 90% of the time this will fix it. If not, come back here and we will take it to the next level.

If this has solved your issue, please click the accept button. Also, feedback is greatly appreciated!
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
The unit is only one month old, I doubt the sensor is dirty
It sounds like there is a installation error somewhere. I will opt out of this question so another expert more familiar with this symptom can help.
Expert:  Supertech001 replied 8 years ago.
<p>Hello Rich 2994,</p><p>I'n George. I'll be picking up with this one. Do you have a volt ohm meter that will read micro amps?</p><p>Secondly I read somewhere this unit is only a month old. Is it still under warranty? If so you may want to call a warranty servicer.    If not let me know and we can go on.</p>
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
As far as the warranty goes, I may have a problem since I installed the unit myself. No I do not have a meter to read micro amps.
Expert:  Accurate Joe replied 8 years ago.
Good morning, and welcome to Just Answer.
I am a Goodman Dealer.
I have access to goodman manuals and parts.

Check when it first trys to light, and see if hot surface ignitor glows.
Post me back and put to acccurate joe in question. I would be glad to help.

You need to be competent to work on this type of appliance.Gas is very dangerous. Never work above your skill level.

Next, Do you have carbon monoxide detectors in your house
Please Click link for more information on Carbon Monoxide, it could save your family’s life.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

To accurate Joe.

The draft inducer fan receives the signal from the stat and starts. The glow plug lights the burner which remains lit until the blower motor starts up. Once the blower motor starts the flame stays lit for approximately 5 seconds before shutting off.The blower motor continues to run as if it were cooling the heat exchanger for about a minute or so.

I tried removing the access panel to see if the unit was starved for return air, but I have the same problem. There are no flashing LED codes to help diagnose the problem. My condensate pump is hooked up and functional. The gas pressure in my home should be okay since my other gas appliances are all working normally.

I have a CO detector in the home. No issues there.

Any thoughts ??

Ok, I need Model number to look up specific unit.

It sounds like a board or sensor.
Is the flame sensor in the flame?