Accurate Joe
Accurate Joe, Owner of Accurate Mechanical.
Experience:  25 years experince in HVACR field. I am a master electrican. I own an operate Accurate Mechanical,
12533851

The pilot light on the waterheater stays lit but the burner doesnt fire. What&

Customer Question

This is a propane powered water heater, 40-gal. The problem started
a couple month's ago. We'd discover the pilot light was out, but the unit
would fire up right away upon re-lighting. This has happened maybe four
times in this time period. Today the pilot light was lit but the burner wouldn't fire. We have ruled out the gas line to the house as the boiler and other gas appliances are working fine.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Accurate Joe replied 6 years ago.
Good day and Welcome to Just Answer

It sounds like you have a bad thermocouple.
You need to be competent to work on this type of appliance. Gas is very dangerous. Never work above your skill level.

On your gas valve you have a small copper line that runs to the pilot flame.
Make sure it is at least 40% in flame.
If you have a meter to read millivolts, when under flame it need to register above 15 millivolts. Here is a link for the thermocouple. Click on blue word. Get the length you need for your application. You can buy them at Lowes.

The thermocouple should cost under 20 dollars.

I believe I answered you question correctly. If you feel that I did not answer, please do not pay.

Bonus shows thanks for a good job, no matter how small.
If not, please leave feedback in the feedback section( as this tells other customers and experts how I am doing) and make sure you try Just Answer again, I will be waiting by.
Thank you for your time.

Experience: 25 years experince in HVACR field. I am a master electrican. I own an operate Accurate Mechanical,
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hi Joe -

It appears the problem with the water heater is a little more complicated than I first
anticipated. We replaced the thermocoupler as you suggested. Not known to me
when I first communicated the problem last evening, the problem is more complicated.
I have checked out the situation myself instead of relying on my signif. other for an accurate description. My signif other replaced the thermocoupler but now the flame
is going everywhere but to the burner. It seems to be coming out a 1/4" diam aluminum
line running from the ignition unit toward the burner. This line appears to be crimped or
bent and possibly cracked about 1 1/2 " from the end closest to the burner. There is no
flame on the burner at all. Is this fixable with additional parts?
Cut the gas off. Is it possible that in changing the thermocouple, the pilot tube got, took half way off and crimped.

that is the pipe to your pilot. You will have to loosen thermocouple and main gas to burner, and pilot tube to slide the whole burner out.

At that point your going to need a new pilot line. You can get at HVAC supply house.

put it back togther. I will post in next post a You tube video on changing the thermocouple.

Thank you for your time
Here is the Video.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
OK, Joe -

The saga continues. We have a new thermocouple, pilot line and cleaned burner. We have a good strong pilot flame. Now for more information. Our water heater is vented
with an electric fan that is wired to the main valve by four wires. Two of the wires are
clipped onto a front "solenoid" and two wires are hooked to what looks like a small "fuse"
unit on the side of the main valve. Earlier this afternoon, we thought the problem was
fixed. After the burner assembly was re-installed and the water heater re-lit, the fan came on and the burner ignited and we had our first tank full of hot water. The burner shut down and will not re-fire. We started looking at the connections to the fan. It appears that when we pull of the two wires to the "fuse-looking" module on the side of the main valve and re-connect them, the fan comes on for a few seconds and the burner fires, then the whole thing shuts down and we're back to a nice looking pilot light.
That was happening hit or miss. Now when we repeat that process, nothing happens.
Any suggestions? If I haven't described this well enough, maybe I could take a photo.
Not sure, can you post a picture?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Good Morning Joe - I will take a couple photos and post them. Please bear with me.
I don't quite know how to do that on this format, but I'll try.
you pick the picture of the tree, I'll be back in 15 minutes.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Joe -
I am trying to get a couple of photos but don't know how to post them on here.
Your image need to be Jpeg file and just hit the tree and download, or you can post to photobucket and copy the address from title bar and post.

Give me the Make and model of water heater and the fan device
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Joe -
I've tried. I hit the tree. It brings up a window to upload a jpeg file. I hit the browse
button and an image upload window opens. I hit browse and it opens the file upload window with the pictures I want to send you. From there I'm lost. I choose a picture and it puts it into the file name. What I do to get the picture file name to image upload is
not known to me. Sorry.
Hit the tree and then hit browse, another box will come up and hit browse in it.
Then find it in your folder and insert location.
If you don't get it post back
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I did all of that. I don't know how to "insert location". When I hit the "Insert" button
on the original box, all it puts on this reply is the word "graphic"
Let me ask where better directions are.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Joe -
It is a AO Smith "Powershot" Power vent water heater. The fan assembly
is Fasco Industries brand. I cant find a model number.
Good enough
I can get the information but I need a full model number
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

OK, Joe -

I'm at work right now and won't be back to the water heater for a couple of hours. I will somehow find the model number. Do you need any numbers from the fan vent assembly?

No I think the infomation is all on the water heater.
I get pretty good info from ao smith
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
OK. I'll get it when I return home.
thanks
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Joe -
As far as I can tell the water heater is a 50 gal. (not 40 gal as earlier stated) and
the model no. is FPS 50 217. There is also another number that may help. That
number is XXXXX - 50 - J01P040S19. There is also a serial no. MD92-0052902-S19.
Let me know if this doesn't help and I'll look for more numbers.
I have to take care of a customer i will return shortley
double check your numbers, they are not matching
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Joe_
It is the night before Thanksgiving. We got someone over to fix the problem but under other circumstances, I would have waited for you to help us. What do I owe you for your time?
You have hung in there with us the whole day. Please let us know and I will push the accept button on your response. I know the problem would have been much worse and
prolonged had it not been for your expert attention. Thank you again.

fbbcrnptch
I am sorry I could not give you better attenion, I had a funeral that I had to go to this week and my son has come in.

You pay me what you want, I am sorry I could not help more.
Thank you for your time and look foward to hearing from you again.
Happy thanksgiving and God Bless
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you Joe-
Happy Thanksgiving and all of us have so much to be thankful for. Have a wonderful day!
fbbcrnptch
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX not have to leave near that much, but it is really appreciated.
Thank you again