Dr. B.
Dr. B., Horse Veterinarian
Experience:  Equine surgical residency, special interest in orthopaedics and upper airway surgery.
13958431

I as given her 6 months ago, she was badly over weight so

Customer Question

I as given her 6 months ago, she was badly over weight so has been on light exercise. Recently she has shown signs of stiffness in back hocks and now has swollen hock with fluid lumps but no heat, have hosed twice a day she can know weight bare.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the horse's name?
Customer: Kel Bel
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Bel?
Customer: I think they rode her hard as they kept saying she loves to jump
Category: Horse Management
Expert:  Joan replied 2 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years and a Horse Owner for of 40 years.

There are couple of issues that can cause this problem, but when the hock is swollen, the horse needs to be examined by an Equine vet for confirmation.

This could be Osselets which is a bony growth on the fetlock joint which causes inflammation like Arthritis of the surrounding tissues. As it gets worse it can cause an accumulation of sinovial fluid.

This is caused by overworking. trauma, genetics and stress.

An other issue can be Bog Spavin, which is a problem with tibiotarsal joint. The joint becomes distended by excess synovial fluid.

These are only two possible issues that this can be. I cannot confirm that these are the causes.

A Hand on exam would be needed by an experienced Equine Vet. As I said this could be stress, the horse was over weight and it could be genetic. This link goes over leg injuries and possible problems may help you understand and give you a visual of the possible issues: http://horsehints.org/LegAilments.htm

I hope this helps.

Joan