Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Horse Veterinarian
Experience:  Horse Veterinarian, Riding and Showing for 34 years
2263760

we have just bought an 11-year old quarterhorse that is supposedly

we have just bought an 11-year old quarterhorse that is supposedly 'bombproof' trail broke. when the vet came it was very stubborn in giving its hoofs for inspection. is this typical for a 'bombproof trailbroke' horse?
Category: Horse Management
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 11 months ago.
Hello. Thank you for asking your question. My name isXXXXX will try to help.
"Bomb proof" means a bomb could go off and the horse would not spook. So if he is suppose to be bomb proof, then he should not be spooky on the ground or under saddle.
But not lifting his feet, on cue, may be due to a lack of training, a behavioral disorder, or pain. But I would assume the vet would have told you if it was due to pain.
I hope this helps.
Dr. Gabby, Horse Veterinarian
Experience: Horse Veterinarian, Riding and Showing for 34 years
Hi Cj,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Gabby
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

he is still not giving his hoof. we're wondering if it's the position we're taking when picking his hoofs such that he feels uncomfortable. but then again, he doesn't give any of his hoofs readily at all

I would try a couple of different cues. Some people train the horse differently than we do.
1. Try leaning your shoulder, into his shoulder, while pick up the foot. That takes his balance off the foot you are trying to pick up.
2. Try squeezing his "chestnuts" which are the callous looking things on the inside of the leg above the cannon bone.
3. Try tapping the front of his fetlock.
He should be able to learn how to pick his feet up when you ask.
He may learn even faster if treats are involved.
Farriers pick up feet all day long so your farrier should be able to show you some techniques as well.