My daughter would like to bring her horse to our property but I'm concerned because the bulk of our trees are black walnut and black locust and I've heard that the falling debris and seed pods from these trees can be toxic to horses. How true is this?
Pet's Sex: Male
Pet's Age: >12
It is true that black walnut can be toxic to horse. Specifically, it causes laminitis - actually it is a research model for laminitis development in the horse. Most horses in their pasture will ignore these toxins in favor of grasses. Usually the only problem comes when the pasture is eaten down and nothing is left. All the same, you should try to remove as much of the offending toxins as possible from around the trees within the pasture. Same goes for black locust. Hope this helps. Cheers
Equine Surgical Residency, special interest in orthopeadics and upper airway surgery